1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Stupid question about wireless

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Skellz, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Skellz

Skellz Thread Starter

I know this may sound very stupid, but are the packets sent/recieved by my computers wireless meant to keep increasing? By which i mean that they start off at a couple hundred or so and within about 30minutes or so im pushing a 100,000 or more?!?!

I was just wondering if this is normal and if not has anyone got any ideas what the hell is going down?!

Im running windows xp home sp2 and my wireless card is a Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG

Thanks loads

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

Packets are bundles of data. So yes, they should increase. If you disconnect and reconnect, you'll start over at 0.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, they do keep increasing with use. If you're using the wireless link, a lot of packets are sent and received.

I assume you do have encryption enabled on the wireless link so you're not sharing the wireless with your neighbors? :)

4. Skellz

Skellz Thread Starter

Thank you for your speedy replies. I figured that that would most probably be the case as it is simply data being recieved and sent. Its a shared connection with my flat mates who are both hardlined into the router, but we have set up WPA-PSK TKIP security key. I believe that that is the strongest we can have.

Thanks Again

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you've used a long and random key (20 characters or more, mixed numbers & letters), you are quite secure.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536852

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice