1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

stupid questions

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by number, Sep 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. number

number Thread Starter

I have the user guide for suse linux 9.1 but it doesn't explain at all how to connect to the internet: I have adsl at home and I have my CD with the driver of my adsl modem....
    1) I tried to open the files .exe but I don't know how..... I don't know with which program shall I open the file.
    2) I tried with YaST/network devices/DSL ; it starts to initialize something but then it doesn't detect anything (of course, if it doesnt read the drivers!) I'm confused, how shall I install the driver for adsl modem?
    How do I choose with which program shall I open a certain file????
    thanks!

2. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

'There's no such thing as a stupid question,
    but they're the easiest to answer!'

Anyhow. Now that i've done that.

ADSL connects to your computer in one of two ways. THe first is what is called PPPoE. That is: Point to Point protocol Over Ethernet. This means that your adsl modem is essentially the same as a normal modem, except it uses a diffrent frequency allowing you to use your phone as normal. This also means that the driver you need is specialized. A pppoe driver. You can try to see if your kernel includes pppoe support by checking for a file in /proc called config[.gz] use either less or zcat | less to open it (dpending on if it gzipped or not.)

Look through there for an entry containing PPPoE. (or try zcat /proc/config.gz | grep PPP )

The other type of adsl is that it's a normal ethernet signal coming out. In that case, you need to ensure your ethernet card is working, and try dhcpd eth0.

3. number

number Thread Starter

thanks whiteskin, I've read about the ppp somewhere.
    Anyway, considering that in my pc I have both windows and linux, shall I log in windows and look for that PPPoE file?
    If in Linux, what is "less" or "zcat"? they seem something to look for a file..
    Sorry but I'm a newbie in Linux and nothing is for granted for me!
    thanks!

4. number

number Thread Starter

the point is that I was connected to adsl before when I was using windows, so the etherned card is working (also, once I connected my pc to another one, so maybe this means that the etherned card works).
    Regarding the PPPoE, how can I find it in linux? (i need step by step directions) what do i do with it, how do i phisical connect the modem?
    Don't I need the CD rom for the installation of the drivers?
    thanks a lot!

5. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

linux can't natively open .exe files, they are windows executables. But there are 3rd party programs that can like wine and its variants, and commercially crossover office. Also there is Bochos emulator if you have a fat32 partition you can install on there and emulate it.

6. number

number Thread Starter

thanks but I still don't know how to install anything in Linux....

7. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

ok, in linux there is a variety of ways to install. Since you are using suse it can either be harder or easier. most programs have specific instructions on how to install in suse, since it uses yast.

My favorite is to see if a precompiled binary is built for your system. eg programx.bin

this way you will need to have read/write access, sometimes root access (su and the password) and it the .bin must be executable (check program properties in kde). then run it. open a terminal and navigate to the directory where the install program is. type ./programx.bin linux is case sensitive.
    also there may be install scripts like install.sh or something- same idea as bin files

next is source - it is highly configurable - basically just read the readme and documentation for installing from source, its included with package

next is package file - basically handled by yast, some systems are deb or rpm.i personally dont like this one as i feel it is buggy.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270981

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice