1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

stupid slide show questions (these should be easy to answer)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by rbigg, Feb 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rbigg

rbigg Thread Starter

I'm trying to learn how to make simple slide shows, and have run into some problems.

I have Paint, Image Forge, and Irfanview for graphic manipulator programs. They all seem to work about the same way, and look like good programs for an amateur (that's me).

My questions are:

1. With regard to screen shots (Prt Scrn)

a. I'm attempting to take screen shots of selected photos in another slide show, which is on a web site (I think it is .mpeg, as it has sound track, too) with screen shot. I'm getting the screen shot image into Clipboard OK. What happens then is either that I can't save it to some graphics file (sometimes it acts like it's saving, but doesn't), or it does save but is a black screen when I open the graphics file it saved to.

b. So, I guess my first question is: how do I get useable graphics file images of shots from an .mpeg slide show on a web site?

2. With regard to one of my graphic manipulator programs:

a. Do I put actual images into the slide show input side of Paint, Irfaview, Image Forge, etc?

b. Or do I put paths and file names in the input side?

c. If I put paths and file names in the input side, then this means that the program I use automatically extracts and uses the filed image without me having to do so, doesn't it?

b. Now this really sounds stupid, but how do I save the slide show, once I've got the images/files assembled? I see various "save" commands, depending on which program I'm using, but they don't seem to give me the opportunity to name the show, or indicate where it'll be sent, or what I should search for to find it.

I know this is pure operator trouble from my end, but need to find out what to do to get on with things.

2. johnni

johnni

Regarding question 2 my advice is not to make slideshows with software programs but just keep your picture files in self-explanatory folders and sub folders. When you want to see a slideshow open Irfanview, click the second button from the left (blue) and navigate to a folder or subfolder and click on any picture(s) to add it to the left hand column and when done click 'Add', or 'Add all' if you want the entire folder; also remember if you click the 'Include subdirectories' box it will do just that. You can have several thousand images ready to show that way! Choose 'Advanced Options' to set the sort order (usually by name), select whether timed (you can click to set the time), or manual; also whether Automatic (meaning 'in order of listing') or Random. Then click 'Play'. Afterwards click 'Remove all' to empty the window.

If you set up a slideshow this way and you want to repeat it without the effort of again preloading all the images, then click 'Save filenames as TXT', choose a name and location to save the resulting text file to, and then when you want to see it again just click 'Load filenames from TXT' and navigate to the .txt file. You can build up quite a library of slideshows that way. After seeing a show click 'Remove all' to empty the left window - it will not delete the files or the .txt file.

If you want to add or delete any of the filenames you can either edit the .txt file directly in Notepad or, more easily, load the slideshow, select any names and click 'Remove', or to add some just navigate via the top 'Look in' box to the folder you want and click on any filename(s) and they will be added to the bottom of the list (use 'Advanced options' to re-sort). But if you add or delete any you must remember to 'Save filenames as TXT' again.

It seems that you can only load one slideshow at a time because if you try to load another it will replace the first in the left hand window. A pity!

It can be useful to make use of the bottom right facility by ticking the 'Show text' box and clicking 'Help' to see the options. I use $D $F $X which shows the filename and path and number of the image on the top left of the slideshow. Or you can do it and choose the text colour and background in 'Options', 'Properties', 'Viewing' tab.

Explore ALL the options tabs and enjoy!!

johnni

3. rbigg

rbigg Thread Starter

Many thanks. You've answered a lot of what I was looking for, and gave me even more helpful stuff as well.

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Q1. Are you pasting the clipboard contents into a new image in one of the paint programs, and saving from there? You should be! Use Irfanview and just Edit/Paste then save as the format you want.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325955

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice