1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Stupid..stupid!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rlancon, Sep 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rlancon

rlancon Thread Starter

I apologize if this has already been posted but I did not see anything during a search. So evidently I am the only moron here <grin>

I have lost my original XP upgrade disk for a windows machine I want to completely reformat.

It was Win 98 on a Dell XPS 700 Machine I had purchased new.

I upgraded to Xp when it came our, registered it, and it was a legal copy. I have no &#$# idea where I put the XP disk. Can I reinstall some kind of way by "borrowing" someone else’s and reinstalling using my original cdkey number (which I have off of the computer)?

Mr. Bill has plenty of money and I just absolutely hate to spend another c-note for something I had already purchased....( Yes I am a dumn*ss for loosing it I know ) I had purchased a legal copy and registered it......Now the only way I know to reinstall is to buy another copy....which I am trying to avoid.

thank you in advance

Ray

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The "CD Key" you have "off the computer" may not be the CD Key needed however?

If you are referring to the Product ID (available on Control Panel - System info) then its not the Windows CD Key.

CD Keys are not unique to each CD, if thats what you are meaning.
    So another key may work with your CD, but I am incertain if the CD Key is an integral part of the Activation code.
    If it is, you may have a problem (or the owner of the CD Key you used may have a problem if re-activation is needed)

3. A Hawk

A Hawk

If you format the drive the update version won't work, you'll need the full version of xp, or you'll have to install 98 first then use the update disc to install xp.:) Better off doing a clean install of xp off the full version disc.;)

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you have the CD-KEY, the one in the format xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx, you can use a copy of the CD and install your legal copy of XP. If you have a copy of the O/S you're upgrading from on CD, you can also do a clean XP install by just showing it the CD during the install process, there's no need to do an upgrade install.

5. Swiper

Swiper

If you have a DELL computer, then you should have a " RECOVERY " CD provided by DELL that includes the operating system and all the fine software they provide.(LOL)
    When you run through the RECOVERY cd's, it will format and reinstall XP onto your computer to the same state and when you originally purchased the computer.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164413

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice