1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Stupid Things to Consider,

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by Hulk701, Feb 3, 2005.

Advertisement
  1. Hulk701

Hulk701 Banned Thread Starter

When it is late at night and I can’t get to sleep I often consider stupid things.

Like this one:
    Ways to Make the Roman Alphabet Simpler…

Take the letter ‘c.’ There is either a soft ‘c’ or a hard ‘c,’ but neither has any purpose because the soft ‘c’ can be replaced by the letter ‘s,’ and the hard ‘c’ can be replaced by the letter ‘k.’

Now we come to ‘q.’ The letter ‘q’ has no purpose in our language at all because it can just as easily be replaced by the letters ‘kw.’

And ‘x.’ There is no purpose to the letter ‘x.’ You can say everything with the letters ‘ecks’ as you can with the letter ‘x.’ So get rid of it, we don’t need it.

So there are three letters gone. Now lets look at how we can simplify words. First, why do we have so many double letters, when we need only one. Why do we spell ‘hell’ with two ‘ll’s’ rather than one? Or even the word ‘spell?’

Hell, I don’t know. How about silent letters? Why do they exist if they are silent? Why not get rid of them all together. Especially that ‘e’ on the end of all the French words we’ve stolen from their language. Give 'em back to the French, we don't need 'em. :D

Well you have a choice. You can either list your own silly conundrums or help solve some of mine. I’m goen to bed….:D.

2. LuckyStrike

LuckyStrike

When I am trying to sleep and need to wind down, I think about "what if" questions.

What if the temperature were to drop 2 degrees per hour? What would the world look like in 8 hours?, 16 hours?, 32 hours?, 64 hours? etc, etc.

What if the temperature were to increase 2 degrees per hour? What would the world look like in ... so on and so forth.

What if starting April 1, 1944 we had an additional 1000 each of B-17's, B-24's, B-25's, B-26's, P-51's, P-38's, P-47's flying one sortie per day? Plus 2000 of each? Plus 5000 of each? An additional airborne division? 500 additional LST's? etc, etc. How would the course of the war have changed?

What if I had $1000 and one acre of farm land? $2000 and two acres........$100,000 and 100 acres? etc, etc. When could I retire?

Heh, it worked, I'm getting drowsy.

3. MSM Hobbes

MSM Hobbes

hulk - good! (y) Funny thing is, I do pronounce as many of them poor, forgotten, ignored, and shunned so called "silent" letters in so many words. For example, the word sword... there IS a "w" there, right? Well, it does get its due mention when I speak this word. What is fun is when teaching children how to talk. For some reason, the woman did not really appreciate my style... strange. ;)

As to what rattles through my mind, in a non-XXX rated fashion, well, there is that part that still buggers me when I contemplate what if you took a pie, divide it in half, and then that half in half, and then the following half by another half, and so on... Another way to say this is if you divide a number by 2, and then divide that number by 2, and so on and so on, you will never ever ever reach zero... yea, you'll get close, but never reach it. So, how can you touch something - if you approach it via that thinking, you can never actually reach out and feel it, yet, we can... hmmmm.... ;)

FWIW, if interested, look up a fella by the name of Zeno of Elea. And for those of yas that do take that challenge, notice how a certain Cheshire cat from a famous book about the adventures by a gal named Alice has a part in this story... ;)

4. moonmist

moonmist

Some people have wayyyyyyyyyyy to much time on their hands :p ;)

5. MSM Hobbes

MSM Hobbes

Ohhhhhh, my dear, you bring up one of my fav subjects to contemplate when the night is dark, the stars are flickering, and your brain is awash with thoughts of the cosmos... ;) Time? Well, what really is time? Some arbitrary concept postulated by humans to denote a meaning of temporal positions? Where a mind can experience complete synchronization with a past, a present, and a future “now”... and as the now that I am experiencing is the end of my lunch, I must get ready for another conference call and then a meeting.

:p :D :cool:

6. moonmist

moonmist

the only thing i can answer to that is.......... I love you.......... :p

7. MSM Hobbes

MSM Hobbes

:eek: hobbes fur gets a redish tint to it now... :eek:

;) :cool:

8. moonmist

moonmist

Looks good on ya !! ;)

9. Omega_Shadow

Omega_Shadow

When I cant sleep I try to think of life in 5 dimentions; height, width, depth, time and emotion. I attempt to connect the five and try and prove emotion as a location and not a state of mind. (confusing? Thats the point :D ) After awhile of pondering this my mind gets tired and I can go to sleep

10. AKA Arizona

AKA Arizona

When I am tierd the voices in my head are very very quiet then they start getting louder & louder & louder I yell to them to SHUT UP then we all fall asleep,........... :cool:

PhSyyyyc................. my last interview sounded alot like that he was a nut case, he killed his brother the voices said to do it it must have been God. real wack job, he went strait to the 5th floor in a jacket.....

Actually, I start building things in my mind using vector graphs to keep things strait usually a bigger garage for my toys..................... :cool:

11. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

What if, we insert ribonucleic acid strands into nanotubes for delivery of RNA interference? Why not use counterweighting on the bottoms of large ships to make them waveproof? Why can't we ionize steel store shelves with a small corona discharge device so that they don't get dusty? Instead of rail guns and laser rifles, why can't we combine the two and have rail guns where the projectile has a form of volatile rear coating with a cusp shape where a laser can be aimed at the rear of in order to further increase it's velocity? Why do schools teach kids sexual education instead of leaving it to the parents, don't people realize that those sex ed classes just put thoughts into sex crazed teenager's heads? Why should there be a "no child left behind" policy? Why do I need a tax EIN in order to subcontract for a international company? Why is it cheaper to ship to canada when you call the item a gift? Why do people press recycling when the true solution to pollution is dillution? What if I bend the plexiglass in that direction so that the mirrored side produces this effect?

Is the universe a product of the collision of dimensional membranes layered on top each other and vibrating so that collisions between membranes result in the creation of matter/time/space? If so what happens with matter being believed to be the product of 12 or more dimensions with the 11th and 12th dimension curled into itself in a tesseract-like manner? Whatever happened to physicist who believed gluons created strong interactions holding together time-space?

What if people think I think too much?

Oh, I forgot, what is the equation for computing frequency changes between musical notes? I used to have it memorized...

I'm not tired at all right now.. I do most of my project thinking when I'm half asleep.. Sleepiness increases creativeness.

Sometimes instead of counting sheep, I memorize product nomenclatures, read a mercks manual, mod something into something else, notate musical scale in my head, calculate lottery probabilities, research buying and selling prices, etc..

The one problem I have with falling asleep, is that often, I'm not sure of the barrier between when I'm asleep and when I'm awake.. I often wake up not knowing when I fell asleep, and having the feeling that I'd never been asleep. I often work on problems in my sleep and have been known to make myself a snack, use the bathroom, use the PC, etc, while I am asleep.. My wife says I even hold conversations in foriegn languages in my sleep.

12. Omega_Shadow

Omega_Shadow

....gotrootdude, put down your triple expresso latte, put down the Meta-Physics text book, take a deep breath, sit down and relax. Your brain is working way too hard way too fast. :p

How do you come up with some of that Gotrootdude? Do you have a background in Physics and Math-theory?

13. MSM Hobbes

MSM Hobbes

gotrootdude:
    (y) (y) :cool: btw, while the string theory and the attraction of dark matter both have legs, gluons - oh, yea,,, talk to me!!! ;)

gotrootdude:
    Those that think about others thinking too much are not thinking about themselves enough - they're all goobers, let 'em! Mindless drones... :p ;)

ps: omega, meta-physics is where its at! :) esp. if you throw in some Eastern & even native cultural concepts, beliefs, and religions into that mix.... yeeeeeha!!! :cool:

14. Omega_Shadow

Omega_Shadow

lol, used to be interested in that stuff but all I ever had to show for it was headaches :p

15. Moby

Moby

I'm almost at the same spot as you Gotrootdude. I just need to figure out how worms move and why cheese used to be milk and I'll be right with you. (y)
    ;)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326262

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice