Stuttering after varying amounts of time running games

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Tywel

I had some issues with my pc a while back, i ended up resetting and reinstalling windows. Now after spending some time running a game, it's usually about an hour to two hours i get a lot of micro stutters. I'll attach a video of what it's like. Could anyone please tell me what's up with this ? It's always at the same interval, like 3 seconds or something.
here's what it's like :
I just realised i should add that the high pitch noise is from the game not a bug
Here's my specs:
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 19042, Installed 20200704161441.000000+060
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9400 CPU @ 2.90GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 13, CPU Count: 6
Total Physical RAM: 16 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
Hard Drives: C: 952 GB (175 GB Free); G: 15 GB (8 GB Free); P: 1844 GB (1707 GB Free);
Motherboard: MEDION B360H4-EM, ver V1.0, s/n MG3111G91600938
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver MEDION - 1072009, s/n 12596010020116
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Latency vs frame interval :)

which is the same things as:

lag vs stuttering

Your problem is second one - stuttering.
And that usually means misconfigured game, or more specifically frame synchronization.

try enabling V-Sync in nvidia control panel or in game settings.
You might also want to check refresh rate setting of your monitor and GPU.
Try also lowering display resolution just to see if there is any difference.
Make sure you use native monitor resolution in Windows settings by default (outside of testing)

Tywel

Latency vs frame interval :)

which is the same things as:

lag vs stuttering

Your problem is second one - stuttering.
And that usually means misconfigured game, or more specifically frame synchronization.

try enabling V-Sync in nvidia control panel or in game settings.
You might also want to check refresh rate setting of your monitor and GPU.
Try also lowering display resolution just to see if there is any difference.
Make sure you use native monitor resolution in Windows settings by default (outside of testing)
Thanks, any idea why it could be happening only after a period of time?

Thanks, any idea why it could be happening only after a period of time?
Understand 3 things:
1. Stuttering is always present even if you don't see it and even if you have quantum computer.
2. Stuttering is never constant, it's magnitude is changing every millisecond
3. Stuttering happens between one frame and min. next 2 frames

What you are looking for is how to "stabilize" stuttering to the point where it's no longer visible to human eye,
because when stuttering is not visible to human eye then we say that game doesn't stutter. (but stuttering is still there it's just you don't see it)

I hope you understand now.
There is no exact answer WHY, because multiple factors are involved in frame rendering:
1. drivers
2. game
3. GPU
4. OS
5. Optimization

You gave no feedback on V-Sync so I don't have even a minimum clue what's going on with your computer, does V-Sync at least make any difference or is there anything else you believe could be a culprit?

Tywel

Understand 3 things:
1. Stuttering is always present even if you don't see it and even if you have quantum computer.
2. Stuttering is never constant, it's magnitude is changing every millisecond
3. Stuttering happens between one frame and min. next 2 frames

What you are looking for is how to "stabilize" stuttering to the point where it's no longer visible to human eye,
because when stuttering is not visible to human eye then we say that game doesn't stutter. (but stuttering is still there it's just you don't see it)

I hope you understand now.
There is no exact answer WHY, because multiple factors are involved in frame rendering:
1. drivers
2. game
3. GPU
4. OS
5. Optimization

You gave no feedback on V-Sync so I don't have even a minimum clue what's going on with your computer, does V-Sync at least make any difference or is there anything else you believe could be a culprit?
I appreciate the help, I think part of the issue is that one of my displays was running at 60hz and one was at 120hz. I've enabled vsync and not seen any issues, I've also switched my 60hz monitor to intel integrated graphics instead, in hopes that it means my graphics card isn't trying to operate two at two different latencies.
Thanks a lot, I'll reply again if I continue to see the issue but I think that should have done the trick

You're welcome!

btw. V-Sync limits FPS to refresh rate of your monitor, If you play multiplayer and want to keep max. FPS take a look here:
Multiple buffering - Wikipedia

frame buffering and swapping is among the last things a GPU does and it may affect frames and thus stuttering, almost every GPU allows adjusting buffering, the setting is called "triple buffering" in nvidia control panel.
See if changing this allows you to turn off V-Sync.
But apparently your problem is monitor refresh rates, try using just one monitor if you want to investigate.

Tywel

You're welcome!

btw. V-Sync limits FPS to refresh rate of your monitor, If you play multiplayer and want to keep max. FPS take a look here:

frame buffering and swapping is among the last things a GPU does and it may affect frames and thus stuttering, almost every GPU allows adjusting buffering, the setting is called "triple buffering" in nvidia control panel.
But apparently your problem is monitor refresh rates, try using just one monitor if you want to investigate.
Thanks, I'll see if there's any improvements :)

Tywel

You're welcome!

Okay so I've tried everything here, I've tried just using one monitor, I've tried what I mentioned earlier, I've enabled gsync , and it's still happening after about two hours. Doesn't matter what's running or anything like that , any idea what the issue could be?
If not I'm just gonna contact the manufacturer it's not a big deal.
Thanks for helping though

Tywel

Okay so I've tried everything here, I've tried just using one monitor, I've tried what I mentioned earlier, I've enabled gsync , and it's still happening after about two hours. Doesn't matter what's running or anything like that , any idea what the issue could be?
If not I'm just gonna contact the manufacturer it's not a big deal.
Thanks for helping though
Buttt i did some googleing around and apparently disabling superfetch fixes intermittent stutters, I've tried that and that seems to have fixed the issue for the moment but I guess I'll have to wait some time to see if it's really helped

I don't know what could be but first step is to get fresh drivers from manufacturer. for motherboard and GPU.
Do you install drivers using windows update or manufacture website?

Tywel

I don't know what could be but first step is to get fresh drivers from manufacturer. for motherboard and GPU.
Do you install drivers using windows update or manufacture website?
I always update drivers from the manufacturers, that's whats so confusing

Tywel

Is it just one game or all games that are having this problem?
Whenever the problem occurs it's systemwide, so it'll be literally everything. even the restart loading bar thing than turns around stutters.

Tywel

I would do hardware test or disable non essential components to isolate them.

Disabling:
1. Sound card
2. camera
3. microphone
4. bluetooth
5. NIC
6. card reader
etc.. anything not essential to run computer

Testing:
1. CPU
2. GPU
3. RAM

To test CPU either:
Download Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool
OR
GIMPS - Free Prime95 software downloads - PrimeNet

To test RAM: (approx. 16 passes)
Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

To test GPU
FurMark > Home
Thanks, what should I be looking out for exactly?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online