Stuttering computer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

imhungry

Yes the elusive stuttering computer problem. Never happened before and I have no idea whats causing it.

Current specs:
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+ 2.21 GHz
RAM: 3 GB
Graphics card: Asus 7600 GS (xfx 9600 GT, more on this)
HDD: 250 GB (2 partitions) and 500 GB (3 partitions)
Power Supply: 550w VX Corsair (was an Antec Earthwatts 550w with 9600 GT)

Before I go any further, I think it may have been my 9600 GT that caused this new stuttering problem.

For a year or so, I had installed an xfx 9600 GT and an Antec Earthwatts 500w on my computer. Things were running fine, but the 9600 GT began to blackout on me, literally (Monitor would lose signal, whatever audio was on would play for a while then stop, computer reboots but nothing shows on screen, 9600 GT shutdowns). During that year, the 9600 GT would blackout whenever I played any older games (less graphically demanding) yet it would never blackout when I played newer games. Finally a few days ago, after one more blackout, it may ruined my Antec Earthwatts.

The 9600 GT still worked, blackouts aside, but the Antec was a little wonky. The LED on my TV Tuner card, when the Antec switch was ON, would flicker constantly. When I tried to nudge the power switch on the Antec in the middle, the LED stayed on then I pushed the switch to ON and it stayed on still.

For now I am running on my old 7600 GS and a new Corsair 550w as I am RMA'ing both the 9600 GT and Antec, but after that incident I am getting these stuttering problems.

The symptoms during that one moment of stutter:
-mouse would freeze for 1 second/half a second
-video freezes for same amount of time
-audio freezes for same amount of time
-same stuttering freeze in games

Another result of the 9600 GT blackout is that my speakers would slightly produce static, like a really small spike of sound, not sure how to describe it.

So far I have run multiple 15 minute BurnInTests, all resulting with a pass (ran one while the 9600 GT and Antec were still installed, passed) did the chkdsk /f for all my hard drive partitions, no bad sectors or errors, and ran jkdefrag on all drives, re installed audio drivers and nvidia drivers (7600 GS ones, clean removal on the 9600 GT).

After all that, the problem still persists! I'm at my wits end right now.

Thanks for any replies and help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online