1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Stuttering CPU?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Dethred, Nov 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dethred

Dethred Thread Starter

Hey guys, I can't figure this out for the life of me.

A week ago I installed my new 7800GT and everything was fine for about 10 minutes, then programs started crashing and the computer would stutter, and take forever to install small programs. I reinstalled windows XP after a "quick" NTFS format of my hard drive.

The problem was still there and the computer was barely usable. I installed my old 5600 256MB nVidia card and most of the problems went away, but not all. So I ordered a new PSU with higher amperage and wattage. That seemed to make running the 7800GT about the same stability as with my 5600 256MB.

Now I am stuck with stuttering sound and video, even though I tried two different sound cards. I have tried different drivers for my CPU, chipset, VGA, Soundcard, etc with no results.

I did have my CPU overclocked from 2.2ghz to 2.37 but Prime95 only got the temps up to 44*C after 4+hours, and the problems are there no matter what clock speed I try (within reason). Also tried memtest86 with no errors reported.

System specs:
    A64 3500+ Venice
    ASrock ULi Dual SATA mobo
    xfx nVidia 7800GT
    Rosewill 450W Dual 12V rail PSU
    2GB PQI Turbo Ram
    WD 250Gig + Maxtor 120Gig IDE HDs
    ALC850 onboard sound or Sound Blaster Live! 5.1

Help! I hope it isn't a hardware problem.

2. Dethred

Dethred Thread Starter

Any help?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/418954

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice