1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Stuttering Sound!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AlmostThere, Apr 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AlmostThere

AlmostThere Thread Starter

I have Windows 98 and have onboard sound. ie a VIA AC97 chip. The problem is that the sound in some games is choppy and stuttering(Half Life works, Phantom Menace-Stutter!).
    I have tried various drivers to no avail.
    According to Device manager and System Info there are no conflicts (though I know they lie sometimes).
    Any advice..? Apart from buying a real soundcard...
    Thanks

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

How much ram do you have and how fast is your processor? And what else might you be running at the same time?

3. AlmostThere

AlmostThere Thread Starter

Of course. I should have said. I have a celeron 433 with 128MB of RAM. I never run anything else in the background, at all. How much CPU power does an onboard chip use..?

4. bryan763

bryan763

Wish I had a fix for you, but I wanted to reply because I'm having the same problem. I have an MSI mobo with on board sound, VIA chip set. My sound seems to stutter as if resources are low. It does it when my modem is initializing for dial up (intro audio) and when playing video and audio intense games ie; Grand Theft Auto III. I bought a hardware accelerated sound card Phillips Sonic Edge 5.1. Installed with on board audio disabled and got the same thing. Playing MS Flight Sim or Unreal 2003 I don't get the stuttering. Ive updated drivers, checked for IRQ Conf., shut down all un-needed services and background apps to no avail. Not a real big problem but it bugs me. number one I can't play a $45 game I baught.

5. bryan763

bryan763

PS My system meets/exceeds recommended specs for the games and apps it stutters in.
    AMD T-Bird 1.2G 512 pc 133 ram, nvidia 32 meg agp x4

6. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

For todays games this isn't quite enough, you could try more ram. Most games also have sound quality settings, try a lower one. As far as minimum requirements, those are always false.

As far as sound cards, many with fancy Audigy's also have similiar problems.

You have been to the maker's site and checked under support I presume.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/40993

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice