1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Stuttering Sound

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hoopkidups, Jun 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hoopkidups

hoopkidups Thread Starter

Hi,

Recently, the sound on my computer started stuttering, and sounding all scratchy. Everything stutters, except midi files, which don't play at all. I'm using an integrated sound card, on an Intel D865GBF motherboard.

Thanks for any help!

2. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

Try uninstalling the audio device in "Device Manager" (type: devmgmt.msc into Run... or command prompt) and then rebooting.

3. hoopkidups

I did that, and now there is no sound at all. Audio files won't start, and video files play without audio.

4. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

Did Windows not prompt you about an unknown device being found?
    Look back in the device manager for any items marked with a yellow question mark.

(Install the appropriate drivers from your motherboard CD for that / those devices - or let Windows search the CD for the drivers - don't re-install the ones already on your computer).

5. hoopkidups

Sorry, I forgot to mention that Windows did prompt me.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Well the you need to reinstall the drive from driver cd or download newest by Google search
    for soundcard driver.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  8. hoopkidups

Thanks for the link. I actually did re-install the drivers, but the problem didn't go away. My second guess is that there is some kind of static interference since I recently installed a TV tuner, although the problem had started occuring before that.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Did you also install the Intel Chipset drivers and the Intel Application Accelerator?
    Also make sure the display drivers are installed or the processor ends up doing more work and the result is a sluggish computer.

I would try another set of speakers or headphones.

10. hoopkidups

Tried that - still no luck. I also tried some headphones, so I can confirm it is a problem with the computer. It also seems like the sound slows down sometimes, and then speeds up, which would rule out static interference.

EDIT: I noticed now that sometimes the sound pauses, and when that happens, the computer freezes for a moment too. This probably links the problem to the processor, but I can't imagine what it is.

EDIT 2: I noticed something even weirder - it seems the stuttering stops when the processor is doing something - when I continuously minimized and maximized the iTunes window, the sound was smooth...

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

I know it is a side step but maybe it's time to try a pci soundcard, the sound is so much better anyway. Little chipsets on the mobo do tebd to just wear our easily over time.

12. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

What? :confused:

-----------------------------------------------------

Sounds like there's a conflict somewhere.
    Did you check the Windows device manager for any items with a yellow marker?

Are there any other expansion cards in your machine except for the TV Tuner and presumably an AGP video card (also which brand/model of video card are you using)?

Would be a good idea anyway to remove the Tuner card whilst troubleshooting this problem, and any other non-essential hardware for that matter (remove or change items one thing at a time).

Another thing to try:
    Go into your BIOS setup (Hit "Del" when boot process starts) and find an option called "PCI Latency (timer)"
    Try it at 32 then 64 then 128 and see if there's any difference to the sound - if there's no change set it back to where it was originally (usually 32).

Let us know which operating system you're using as well. ;)

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What version of Windows do you have? Do you have all the updates/patches installed? Especially Directx 9.0c?

15. ssabfoeca

ssabfoeca

I can help you with the "White Noise". When you listening to music simply mute the line-in, worked for me, as for the stuttering I am having the same problem. When launching some applications my music jumps and i have no reason for this.

Its not due to my tv card as that was put in several months ago and i've only have the problem last 2 or 3 days. Any more help bout our situation?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/472693

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice