1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

stuttering sound

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by msJaan, Sep 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. msJaan

msJaan Thread Starter

about a month ago what at first I thought alone was my CD player.. any CD or DVD I played the sound seemed to stutter..the DVD visually were fine but sound was bad. but If I play anything from my windows media player its all fine or listening to any music online is fine too...until the other day I put in a cd full of pix and the music I was listening to online started to stutter. also windows media will not let me burn any CDs and was then burning cd's with roxio now that doesnt work or just takes for ever...is this all connected?? please help ..at my wits end and do not have the time or money to take my pc in.. :(

2. Syst3mSh0ck

Syst3mSh0ck

It sounds like you have too much running it the background and it is choking the system while you are multi-tasking. It is normal to get a hiccup in sound while reading a CD as the ATAPI interrupt halts the entire system temporarily, but not like you are describing. You can resolve your issues through two means:

a) Uninstall unnecessary and superfluous software that you don't use or arn't really required for proper operation, check the bottom right hand corner and see how many programs you have running in the tray, if there are lots then you should do some cleansing. To uninstall in Windows XP go to Start, click on Control Panel, now click on "Add / Remove Programs". To uninstall in Windows Vista go to Start, click on Control Panel, now click on "Programs and Features".

b) You could disable some software from starting up with Windows instead of getting rid of it completely by going to Start, clicking on Run (or holding down the Windows Key on the keyboard and pressing R) and typing "msconfig" without the ". On the second to last tab labled "Startup" you can untick the entries to stop them from starting with Windows, make sure you don't disable anything critical though!

c) Reinstall Windows with a fresh copy and rid yourself of the OEM c*ap that comes with most PCs.

Hopefully you should be able to get the amount of background processes down by removing unneeded software, you can check how many processes are running by right click on a blank area of the taskbar at the bottom and clicking "Task Manager", the Processes are displayed in the "Processes" tab and also in the bottom left hand corner of that window. Also you should check how much free memory you have which is displayed in the "Performance" tab.

3. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

To add to Syst3mSh0ck's advice, if you post a HijackThis log, I might help you trim down your Startup list. You don't have to uninstall any software if you need it. Only make sure it doesn't run in the background at all times for nothing.

Please click here to download and install the HijackThis installer.

Run it and select Do a system scan and save a logfile.

The log will be saved in Notepad. Copy and paste the log in your next post.

Do not fix anything

4. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

You might have just lost DMA mode for the DVD drive and are instead operating in PIO mode, which will cause both very slow burning and stuttering playback so research that possibility first before taking more drastic action.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/863645

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice