1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sub form help in access

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by wdisneymom, Nov 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wdisneymom

wdisneymom Thread Starter

I have a data base with records of cases of clients
    I have a sub form within my form where I enter notes as to the progress of the client and contacts with the parents etc.
    Sometimes I close the case and then have to re-open it months later and I denote that with episode "2", episode "3" etc

However, my sub form continues from the previous episode and I'd like to be able to start it anew

Any suggestions?

2. slurpee55

slurpee55

Probably the easiest thing to do would be to have a Yes/No box for Case Closed and an Episode # column that had a default of 1. If or when the case closed was ever marked yes, the Episode number would increase by 1.

3. wdisneymom

thanks for the quicl response...I'm not sure I understand ... I enter notes in a field in the sub form and that's the field I would want to start anew when I go to the next episode...

4. slurpee55

slurpee55

It would probably take some coding to get the episode # to increase when you marked the case closed.
    Do you have just one field of notes - essentially a memo box - for the notes for an episode?
    If so, then the next episode would go to the row below. On the other hand, if you might have several rows of notes for any one episode, the easiest thing might be to have a new column (called something tricky, like Episode2?) and fill it up.
    If you can, please copy and zip your file (strip out any data that might be confidential, but please leave in some junk data so we can see how it works) and post it (use Tools, Database Utilities, Compact and Repair first, to make it smaller). That way we will know better how to help.

5. wdisneymom

how do I attach my file

6. slurpee55

slurpee55

Hi,

In the reply box, click on Go Advanced. Go down below the smilies and the Options and you will find a button marked Manage Attachments. A box will pop up, letting you browse to attach the file. Click on Attach or Upload or something like that, then close that window when it says the file is attached.

7. wdisneymom

I did as you said but when I uploaded the file I got a message invalid file
    it's .mdb

8. wdisneymom

can I email the file to you

9. wdisneymom

I tried again and I hope I attached it

Look in the cases form
    Look in John Jones
    If youo go to "event History" that's where I put my notes
    Look in Jones episode 2 and you'll see tha notes already there from episode one
    I would likle to start my notes new for each episode

Attached Files:

10. slurpee55

slurpee55

Hello again,

You have a pretty nice database there. I am going to call in someone who knows more than I on this, just to make sure it gets done right.

11. wdisneymom

12. OBP

OBP

wdisneymom, I am not sure what your problem is, I can see some improvements that you make.
    But I do not understand the "Episode" part, isn't a new record good enough?

13. slurpee55

slurpee55

One thing I would do differently is you have is that you have an autonumber id for each person and a totally unrelated number for each event. Tie a person to a unique id - to their name or case number or something that follows them through the system. Then new episodes for them can be tied to that id. As for the new episodes, are you saying that you would want, in the table, to read, as you went down, about childx episode1, then childx episode2, then childy episode1, then childz episode1, childz episode2, and so on? That is more a sorting problem, and again would be helped by having unique id numbers.

14. wdisneymom

I guess what I'm saying is that each time I open a form I would want the event sub form be for that episode only rather than a running account of each entry from the beginning

15. slurpee55

slurpee55

I added an "episode" note to the events table (with a default of 1) so I could match the form and subform fields - see the form "copy of ...."
    Let me know if it works - I didn't try entering data or anything... :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/648903

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice