1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

subfolders disappeared from desktop

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by idobooks, Oct 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. idobooks

idobooks Thread Starter

I have a folder on my desktop called "Business Administration." It used to have at least two sub-folders called "Marketing" and "Client Bills" as well as various documents and shortcuts in the main folder.

Tonight I went looking for the "Client Bills" sub-folder and noticed that it had disappeared along with the "Marketing" folder. I did not delete these sub-folders, they are not in the recycle bin, I can't find them by using the Windows FIND command (including a search for specific text that occurs in the documents in the "Client Bills" sub-folder.)

Any ideas how to find the missing information would be greatly appreciated.

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Did you look in the Recycle Bin. If those files are gone then someone manually deleted them! And, this is why you're supposed to make backups frequently.

Are you running a firewall like free Sygate from http://download.com type, sygate in the Search box and press Enter. You must be on-line when registering Sygate, after the initial Restart during installation, with a browser window open.

If you have no firewall running a hacker can do anything to any file while you're on-line as just one example of the damage these retardos can do.

3. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

Since they are A) missing from your folder B) can't be FIND found and C) aren't in the recycle bin I would say they are G) Gone.

However.... one last thing I would try before I cleaned my monitor with a claw hammer is to search for that file type (*.DOC ....*.XLS etc) that has been accessed in the last "X number" of days. If you know you looked at them three days ago then do a search for 4 days back.

If something or someone worked some bad magic - perhaps they are there and renamed or named gibberish. Also since you are talking FOLDERs - have you looked for any file names (once) contained in those folders?

It is worth the look.

- Castleheart :cool:

FOR SALE:
    1 claw hammer. Used only once.

4. idobooks

idobooks Thread Starter

Tried that; didn't find the files.

Yes, I run a firewall.

A business associate said he heard of a similar problem at his company recently. The files that disappeared were actually still on the computer, but the pointers to them had somehow been trashed.

He didn't know how the diagnosis or recovery were made. I was hoping that someone in this forum might know.

Thanks.

5. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

If you found no indication that FOLDERS or FILES of the name or likeness are on your PC including looking for name or extension impostors (Files that they might have been inadvertently changed to), I would say that they are no longer there with a reference that allows you access their data location.

That means they are probably gone - even if the information is still on your hard drive. You will have to investigate an UNDELETE program of some sort. Here is one reference:

RESTORE

There are many out there if you want to search elsewhere. They will be looking to recover the lost data. With that in mind - the more you use your computer, the more you risk corrupting what may be left of them. So if you intend to recover them, you better try ASAP.

- Castleheart

6. Styxx

Styxx Banned

You'd better learn to back up your sensitive data at least daily from now on! It might be a good idea for your company to implement a company-wide data-seciurity ploicy immediately if it'sd not already in place. :eek:

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171830

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice