1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Subliminal Advertising

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by coderitr, Jan 26, 2007.

Advertisement
  1. coderitr

coderitr Thread Starter

I just saw this for the first time and think that more people should know about it.

Food Network is allowing McDonald's to run subliminal advertising on their programming. Watch this video.

http://michaelcastellon.blogspot.com/2007/01/food-network-running-subliminal.html

It shows a portion of the program Iron Chef America wherein the narrator of this video noticed something flash on the screen so he used the DVR to back up and see what it was. It was a one-frame-long McDonald's advertisement.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Do they have the right to invade my subconscious with their pitch?

2. Knotbored

Knotbored

years ago, back in the 60's I recall this was used by movies, until it was proven to be totally useless advertising. The few tests that showed any influence (show a desert to force a drink, show a party to force popcorn purchase) were all setups by ad agencies to try for advertising dollars.

3. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    Wow, I just watched that. What disturbs me more, is why did Food Network do that? Do they need the money? What's in the advertising budget for that? Unfortunately in my eyes,
    that diminishes them. Their food, as opposed to fast food....

4. hotskates

hotskates

Shame on Food Network...........:(

I don't care how many times my subconscious mind sees that............I will not eat at McDonalds after watching the movie "Supersize Me".......their food is garbage.

5. hannab

hannab

That movie was pretty wild :eek: the freakiest part was in the extras when he showed how their fries never decompose :eek: (n)

6. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

I never believe adverts anyway .. all a big con

7. lexmarks567

lexmarks567

same here I hate Mcdonalds. I like burger king :D

8. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Think of your health lol

9. iltos

iltos

reminds me of the john carpenter flick..."they live"

don't know much about tv production.....are we certain that the food network is responsible for that one frame being inserted into the broadcast?

and what's all those red lights and stuff running across the bottom of the screen?

10. hotskates

hotskates

I doubt if Burger King is any better than McD.......but, hey, they are your arteries:rolleyes: :D

11. lexmarks567

lexmarks567

I mean the foods better :rolleyes: :D

12. izme

izme

well...I watch the food channel quite often and have had no craving for MickyD's

sooooooo :D

13. hotskates

hotskates

Better tasting you mean:confused:Because I don't think the quality is any better(n)
    I got a chicken sandwich one time at BK that I thuought was actually pretty healthy ...........until the mayonaise started oozing out of the side of the sandwich:p

14. hotskates

hotskates

Me too izme.......:confused: Maybe it doesn't work on intellectuals:D

15. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    (y)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538706

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice