Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Subnet Mask Assignment

815 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  TerryNet 
#1 ·
I'm going to add another IP Camera.

The manufacturer's search tool shows the new (and exisiting) camera but indicates that my PC is not on the same subnet mask. After a quick "CMD--> ipconfig" search, I see that my wireless PC is on subnet mask 255.255.252.0 while all other devices are on 255.255.255.0

Keep in mind that I have ATT Uverse with a gateway that serves as a router. All other devices (wired or not) are on 255.255.255.0. If I hard wire the PC to the router, I am assigned a 255.255.255.0 subnet. If I unplug the Ethernet cable, the PC recognizes this lost network connection and goes to wireless where I'm assigned the 255.255.252.0 subnet and therefore not able to connect with my ipcamera's, NAS drive, etc.

While on wireless, Ive tried ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew, nothing happens (still assigned 255.255.252.0).

I've confirmed in the in the network connections tab that TCP/IPv4 is setup to
-Obtain an IP address automatically
-Obtain DNS server address automatically

I don't know what the problem could be. Im not sure why I'm being assigned a subnet outside of the normal 255.255.255.0. What can I do?

See less See more
#3 ·
To what network are you connecting wirelessly? Apparently not the same one as all your other devices. If you can't answer that show for both the ethernet and wireless connection ...

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

[Press ENTER after each command.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.