1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Subnet Mask Assignment

Discussion in 'Networking' started by JZOSU1129, Jan 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JZOSU1129

JZOSU1129 Thread Starter

I'm going to add another IP Camera.

The manufacturer's search tool shows the new (and exisiting) camera but indicates that my PC is not on the same subnet mask. After a quick "CMD--> ipconfig" search, I see that my wireless PC is on subnet mask 255.255.252.0 while all other devices are on 255.255.255.0

Keep in mind that I have ATT Uverse with a gateway that serves as a router. All other devices (wired or not) are on 255.255.255.0. If I hard wire the PC to the router, I am assigned a 255.255.255.0 subnet. If I unplug the Ethernet cable, the PC recognizes this lost network connection and goes to wireless where I'm assigned the 255.255.252.0 subnet and therefore not able to connect with my ipcamera's, NAS drive, etc.

While on wireless, Ive tried ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew, nothing happens (still assigned 255.255.252.0).

I've confirmed in the in the network connections tab that TCP/IPv4 is setup to
    -Obtain an IP address automatically
    -Obtain DNS server address automatically

I don't know what the problem could be. Im not sure why I'm being assigned a subnet outside of the normal 255.255.255.0. What can I do?

2. Dinodod

Dinodod

Perhaps your router has guest wifi enabled or some security setting isolating your device on the network.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    To what network are you connecting wirelessly? Apparently not the same one as all your other devices. If you can't answer that show for both the ethernet and wireless connection ...

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
    Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

[Press ENTER after each command.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1163936

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice