Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Subnet Mask

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  JohnWill 
#1 ·
I'm not the noob on LAN modulations but i'm stumped on how to change the subnet mask...from 255.255.0.0 to 255.255.255.0. If a easy step by step instructions were given. I'd be really greatful... thx

#2 ·
What are you trying to change the sub-net mask on? Your PC LAN IP connections?

Depends on what is issusing the IP addresses to the PCs. Do you have a router and is it issuing IP addresses to DHCP clients (i.e. your PCs)? If that is the case then there'll likely be a maintenance/configuration page in the router where the sub-net mask will be defined.

If you're not using a router you can manually enter IP details (including sub-net masks) on network interface cards in your PC under TCP/IP details. On W2K look for:
Start / Setting / Control Panel / Network / Local Area Connection / Properties / Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) / General
(this sequence will vary slightly depending on Windows variant used).

#3 ·
It might help to know why you want to change just the subnet mask. I'm guessing that you can't connect and you have an IP address of 169.254.x.x. If so, what you need to do is figure out why you can't see the rest of the network.

#4 ·
This is for Lan and i use a router, so how do you change the subnet mask with a router? Within the lan are two computers. Usually, it thought they're suppose to ping eachother and change their subnet masks on their own, but now i think have to do it manually. Is there a way to change it from manual to auto? and i have an ip address that starts like this.... 192.168.x.x

-confused....

#5 ·
You're correct in saying that the subnet mask is set automatically IF you are having your IP addresses assigned via a DHCP server. If you set the IP assigned manually, you have the option of setting the subnet mask. I'm a little confused on why you would want to change the mask. All the mask does is identify what part of the IP address is the network identifier and which is the host. It's gets into kind of a complicated subject when you want to get into setting up subnets on the network (for large coprorations). For a couple of PC's, you might want to leave well enough alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.