1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Subnet masking

Discussion in 'Networking' started by matt5556, Mar 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. matt5556

matt5556 Thread Starter

Hi there, first of all I'm new to this forum so if this is in the wrong place, go easy on me.
    Could anyone help me understand subnet masking, in the most simplistic way possible, its for my course and I'm very confused about it.

also, can anyone explain this to me in more detail? http://prntscr.com/6dfrn9

thanks in advanced.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Here is my very simple minded understanding. It probably will not suffice for answering a test question, but it may help your understanding.

A subnet mask is 32 bits beginning with m 1's and ending with n 0's (m+n=32). Wherever there is a 1 bit all IPs in the subnet will have the same value. Wherever there is a zero the IPs may be the same or may differ.

Example: Mask = 255.255.255.0 (24 1's and 8 0's) and an IP in the subnet is 192.168.3.17. The subnet consists of all IPs 192.168.3.0 through 192.168.3.255.

3. matt5556

matt5556 Thread Starter

so, from my understanding

say if i had a ip for example, 192.168.1.1
    and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

192.168.1 would be the network? say like, if you geolocate a ip it shows the provider, would this basically be connected to the isp?

and the 0 is just a random number? is subnet masking for private networks only

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    No; it applies to all IPv4 networks.

5. matt5556

matt5556 Thread Starter

im still very confused on this subject, why is it used and what is it used for? and why are there different classes? (sorry, im very new to networking.)

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You'll need to get most of those answers from your class lectures, texts and reference materials. You can also find a lot of material on the web.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!