Subnetting diagram - find the configuration error!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mcse_student

Ok so, first of all I hate subnetting. Secondly, please find the attached picture. Now, the configuration error in this diagram is 'the subnet mask is improperly connecteed for the network'.
Please someone put me wrong, but so far I think this network will still operate, It just wont make use of having 2 different subnetworks. With the mask of /27, all client computers fall into one IP range, which is 192.168.2.160 - 192.168.2.191. The answer also states that a subnet mask of /28 should be used. If /28 is used, then Client A & B will be in their own IP range, and clients C & D will fall into their own IP range aswell.

As it stands, without rectifying the mask this network should still operate correct?

Thanks in advance guys!

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
That will depend on the exact make/model of that router, most SOHO routers don't do multiple subnets, they're strictly one class C subnet.

mcse_student

Well, this is an example from one of the big blue books for MCSE. This router in the example does support multiple subnets. Thanks!

I suspect the issue is broadcast domain. With /27 all four hosts are in the same broadcast address. /28 puts hosts A &B in one broadcast domain [x.x.x.191] whereas C&D is in a different broadcast address [x.x.x.175]

mcse_student

Thanks for the clarification Wanderer, that was what I thought. So indeed, the network would still operate, it's simply not as efficient as it could be?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online