1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Substituting the headphone jack with the microphone jack

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Recoil81, Sep 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Recoil81

Recoil81 Thread Starter

Hi,

I am using a Tiny Media Notebook PIII, 700, Windows 98 SE. The computer is about four years old, and by now the headphone jack, which I use as my sound out port, is about fryed. The contacts have deteriated, and I can not replace the jack, as it is connected to the motherboard. Thus, aside from opting for a usb sound out, such as taking up the Soundblaster MP3+ option, I was wondering if I could reprogram the way in which sound is connected to external devices such as headphones. There are three jacks on the front of my computer: the headphone jack, the microphone jack and er I think it is a line out jack - the later jack which I have never used. Is there anyway I can swop/substitute the connection via the headphone jack say for the microphone jack or line out jack. Is there anyway I could do this?

2. griffinspc

griffinspc

No, afraid not. Each jack has it's own circuitry which provides for the needed resistance and other parameters. What you could do, if you got to the mobo itself, is to physically replace the jack but that's a major pain on a laptop.

You can try two things, one is to use alcohol and a Q-Tip to thoroughly clean the jack, then use a small bit of steel wool to sand inside with and then again with the alcohol and two, if the jack's worn too big for a tight connection, is to go to Radio Shack and buy a plug in adapter for that size jack. Some come with a slightly oversized male end and then you could plug into the female end and have a tight connection.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/279341

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice