1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Successfully re-installed win98...BUT!!!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by gulfstream11, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gulfstream11

gulfstream11 Thread Starter

Hi.Due to problems with bluescreens n stuff I have had to re-install windows 98.Done ok no probs but Outlook Express is,nt showing my previous mails and folders.I have re done all mail connections etc and I'm able to recieve mail to my normal address,but I need the original folders and mails back.I figured it would re appear normally after I entered my user name and password but alas no.Any help would be appreciated,I saved all my ebay purchases and invoices to OE folders.
    Regards.
    I tried the search route so as not to waste anyones time.Great site btw.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    When you reinstalled Windows, you did reinstall it in the C:\WINDOWS folder, didn't you? Hopefully, you didn't install it in C:\WINDOWS.000 or somewhere else. Check the C:\ directory and make sure that just a WINDOWS folder exists.

In the future, it might be a good idea to save copies of your on-line purchases in Wordpad documents and then copy them to a floppy disk.

3. gulfstream11

Hi,Thnx for the reply..
    As far as re-installing in any particular folder it did,nt really give me an option as to where it went.I used the system restore pack and I cant remember the folder option appearing.Is there any freeware stuff available to recover lost OE folders/mail.
    As for the 2nd advice,damn right i will..
    thanks again.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I didn't know that you had used the restore/recovery CD. I assumed that you had used a Windows CD.

When you used the restore/recovery CD, you wiped out the hard drive and reinstalled everything in that computer just like it was when you first brought it home and set it up.

That's why you've lost the information in your E-mail folders and everything else. It's gone forever.

Windows probably could've been reinstalled in your computer by using the "Setup.exe" file in the C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS folder. This would've saved your files and settings.

5. gulfstream11

No worries my friend.I should have been a little more clear in my original post.
    Thank you for the advice and I'm just coming to terms with my stupidity for not backing my mail up.The Mrs is not very happy,family stuff from Canada gone too.
    Cheers Flavalee...

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328079

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice