1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

sucky audio quality

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by i hate ram, Feb 12, 2005.

1. i hate ram

i hate ram Thread Starter

hey all.. i really didnt know where to put this one..

i have winamp (and WMP) and i really think that my audio quality is pretty poor. i have some pretty high-end speakers (two small speakers with a woofer) which were given to me a few weeks ago, and even then i still feel like something is missing..

to all of you music gurus who have been able to tinker around with vynal and big stereo systems with real equalizers, what do you think i could do to maximise audio quality? right now in winamp i have the equalizer set to "techno" (even though all i really listen to is rock). i dont have any DSP plugins...

any advice is appreciated :)

(and an aside to all of my guitar buddies, my Line6 spider II amp finally shipped today... musiciansfriend had that thing backordered forever)

:D

2. dugq

dugq

First, I wouldn't bother with any effects, including equalisation, it sounds nice on first listen, but lowers sound quality which becomes more noticable the more you listen

A big factor is the sound card, Creative Audig2 is well reviewed as are audiotrak, but it largely depends if you are using it for games as well as music, if its just music then have a look at m-audio cards, although the best solution for a music only system is to get a soundcard with a SPDIF output and run that into an external DAC.

Also, a big factor in quality is the amount of interference the card has to deal with, so position the PCI card lowest down on the PCI slots, as far from the rest of the innards as possible.

Also, whatever soundcard you use, try to find if it has an ASIO driver, these reduce latency and can (but don't always) improve quality

Of course, the source material is also important, compressed files sound okay on crap equipment, but when you use something which is decent quality the flaws become more apparent. IMO the only good compression is lossless compression, I use FLAC

http://flac.sourceforge.net/

And if you are listening to music ripped from CD, EAC is the only program to rip with

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329827

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice