1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sudden black screen when playing video games

Discussion in 'Games' started by debluka36, Nov 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. debluka36

debluka36 Thread Starter

Hi!

Recently I stumped on a problem when playing various video games (Battlefield, League of Legends, Steep,...). My screen would suddenly go dark and the audio would work for a couple of seconds and then it would also go quiet. The PC seems to still work since all the fans are running and MOBO postcode is A0 which means that it doesn't think anything is wrong. I'm getting this issues only when playing games longer then 30-40 minutes. But if I try to play a couple of minutes after the crash (When I restart my PC) it would occur on a much regular basis (10-15 minutes). The issues started appearing around a month ago, but I don't remember installing or using any specific programs/games/software that could cause this problems. As a note, my PC is over 2 years old and I've experienced one blue screen 1 year ago.

My PC specs:
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Education, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 94 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 16333 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon (TM) R9 390 Series, -1 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 232 GB (17 GB Free); D: 1862 GB (475 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., Z170X-Gaming 5
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

GPU Overclocks:
    -Core Voltage +19mV
    -Power Limit +5%
    -Core Clock 1050MHz
    -Memory Clock 1550MHZ

If I missed anything or if there is something more you would like to know you just ask me [​IMG]

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

1) Go to Control Panel > Device Manager and update your video driver

2)Remove your overclock and test. if 1) doesn't do anything.

3. debluka36

debluka36 Thread Starter

Tried it just and it just crashed again...

Still thank you for your suggestion!

4. phillpower2

phillpower2

Can you post the brand and model name or number of the power supply.

What you describe is typical of a computer that is overheating but I did spot spot something else that will cause you issues;

You are dangerously low on free storage space on the C: drive, see explanation below.

For Windows to be able to run efficiently and to be able to update you need to have between 20 and 25% of the partition or drive available as free storage space at all times, if you don`t you risk Windows becoming corrupt or not being able to update which puts you at risk of malware attack.

Data only storage devices should not be allowed to get any lower than 10% of free storage space of the full capacity of the drive/partition on the drive.

Uninstall/back up as many unused programs, games, videos and music files as you can from the C: drive.

5. debluka36

debluka36 Thread Starter

Hello and thank you for your answer.

I have re-allocated some apps so I now have 102GB of free space on my SSD.

As far as my power supply goes it's a Corsair RM650X 650W 80+ Gold PSU.

Regarding CPU and GPU temps I monitored them while playing and CPU temps hang around 50 - 60 (68 max) and GPU goes up to 78 when running intense games.

Update: The extra disc space still doesn't prevent black screens.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  6. phillpower2

phillpower2

Apologies for the delay getting back to you.

As said being low on storage space if not already would with 100% certainty give you issues at some point, BSOD and lock ups being the typical starting signs, the computer should be a bit quicker now that you have freed up the space, have you noticed any improvement with boot and program loading times.

Back to troubleshooting the black screens.

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

[​IMG]

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

So that we have a comparison to Speedfan, download, run and grab a screenshot of HWMonitor (free).

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... after typing in any response you have... click on Upload a File to add the screenshot.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

7. debluka36

debluka36 Thread Starter

Hello!

As requested I'm sending you the data, but I noticed I don't have all the values that are shown in the pictures you posted. I tried to search for options to show them but didn't find anything. Still I'm posting whatever the programs showed me.

HW1.jpg
    HW2.jpg
    HW3.jpg
    SpeedFan1.jpg

Edit:
    I think that my PSU is faulty since the crashes would happen even when I'm browsing the net or just watching a movie and sometimes the restart button on the case wouldn't even work, but I would still like to know if you suspect any other reasons.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  8. phillpower2

phillpower2

Have you restored the motherboards default factory settings in the BIOS, it is most important that you do when troubleshooting as OCing is one of the most common causes of instability.

A faulty PSU would not cause this, a faulty reset switch could as would a HDD or SSD that had locked up.

Temps that we can see look ok but there are no readings for the +3.3, +5 and +12V rails on the PSU, that said you have a high end PSU there so less likely (but not impossible) that it is the cause of the black screens.

Try stress testing the system with SUPERPOSITION which you can download for free from here

Can you also answer this for us.

Any chance of you being able to try an alternative screen, they too can overheat.

9. debluka36

debluka36 Thread Starter

Hello and sorry for not responding recently!

I made a BIOS reset and it worked fine for a few day but then the trouble started to appear again. Swapping the screen also made no difference and it was crashing while I was running the benchmark, but I don't know if I had anything to do with putting stress on a GPU, since black screens would appear even if I would be away and only Chrome was open.

I also formatted my PC just to try it and installed a random game (Shadow of Mordor) and it crashed after 30 or so minutes and it also went black when the system was idle or I was performing light work.

10. debluka36

debluka36 Thread Starter

Update:

I have been looking around my PC for some reports or something like that and I found some information with the reliability monitor and the hardware errors it recorded. I checked the times and they are directly connected to the crashes. I also took out my GPU and as far as I can tell it's stable, since I didn't notice any crashes but further testing has to be done.

The reliability monitor pics:
    upload_2018-11-22_19-3-38.png
    upload_2018-11-22_19-5-11.png

11. phillpower2

phillpower2

Hi debluka36,

No need for any apology, like the rest of us we understand that you must have other things to take care of (y)

The LiveKernelEvent 141 error can be both software and hardware related, couple of examples, a driver conflict can cause the system to suddenly shut down, the system could overheat and also suddenly shut down, lets check out software possibilities first please, any crash dmps for us;

1. Copy any dmp files from C:\Windows\Minidump onto the desktop.
    2. Select all of them, right-click on one, and click on Send To> New Compressed (zipped) Folder.
    3 Upload the zip folder . using Upload a File, bottom right of the dialogue input box

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218957

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice