Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sudden black screen while gaming, fan gets very loud

2K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  metallica5456 
#1 ·
Hello,

Let me start off by describing my problem:
This happened several times, all of which happened while gaming. When it did happen, I observed the following:
  • monitor goes black (no input signal)
  • fan suddenly goes crazy
  • can still hear audio but it is broken (ie choppy unrecognizable sounds)
  • lights on keyboard turn on and off repeatedly
  • I was too scared to let it continue so I would always hold the power button to shut off computer
After my computer is shut off, I can turn it back on and it runs no problem. I can do everyday stuff like web browsing, watching videos. But now I'm too afraid of opening a game.

This happened on the following games: Skyrim, Team Fortress 2, Hawken, Saints Row the Third, and Faster than Light.

The time it takes for my problem to occur after opening a game varies: twice it happened within 5 minutes, twice it happened under an hour, and once over 1 hour.

Computer Specs:
Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V LX
CPU: Intel i5-3470 3.2 GHz
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB
RAM: Kingston HyperX XMP 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 (2x4GB)
PSU: Ultra 600W Limited Edition PSU BLK
DVD: Samsung 24X DVDRW SATA OEM
HD: Samsung 128GB SATA III SSD (OS on this), and a 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue

What is wrong with my computer? My friend said it could be a loose cable, so I'm wondering if this behaviour is normal for a loose cable and which cable would it be at? If it isn't a loose cable, then what other problems are causing this?

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
your PSU is junk...odds are it cant handle the stress of gaming you need to have a QUALITY Corsair (NOT CX SERIES) or Seasonic PSU for gaming...Whats the 12V rail amperage on the PSU label?

#3 ·
If this is your pw supply, it is indeed junk and needs to be replaced.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Ultra+600W

Next post your temps and voltages; specifically the cpu temp, system temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. This info is available in the bios/uefi or since it is an asus board, you can install asus probe and read the info. Probe is now part of the asus suite and available for download from the support page for your board.

#4 ·
Is it a faulty PSU (and replacing it would fix it), or was the PSU destined for failure from the very beginning? Because, for the first 5 months, I could play Borderlands 1, Team Fortress 2, and other games (Killing Floor, Portal 2, Orcs Must Die 2) fine. But then one day my problem suddenly started happening.

Notice that Team Fortress 2 was playable before, but now isn't.

#5 ·
First of all, you have not posted the info requested.

Second you have a very low quality pw supply and you need to install a quality unit [if you want to game with the system] If you do not want to purchase a quality pw supply, pull out the nvidia card and use the onchip video that is part of the cpu. Your pw supply is ok for onboard video however it is not up to the stress imposed by gaming.

#6 ·
when you first used the PSU it was new so it worked a little while, but the stresseventually got to it. Your PSU has to run full throttle 100 percent of the time...which it simply is worn out from doing

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.