Sudden DNS problem! No browser or MSN connection???

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cb87

This is a problem that has occured on my mothers PC. Suddenly she can't go on the net or on MSN messenger. We have WLAN and then connection is fine, and I can see that there is activity (also, ZoneAlarm seems to work fine). When I run the MSN test it stops at DNS and Primary port. What could have happened? It just suddenly did this without a warning... :(

Disable the firewall and try it again. Restart msn and try it again. Restart pc, run msn and try it again. When you've done all this, we'll continue from there:)

cb87

I've already done all those things. I thought it was the firewall as well at first so I tried it, but no luck.

You could try and reinstall the drivers or - for a quick fix - try system restore. There is also this tool: http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

You should also check with you internet service provider (ISP), perhaps they are having trouble - or your subscription could have run out (I wouldn't have said it, but it happened to me last year - and I wasted 2 days trying to fix the problem:()

cb87

Ok thanks, I'll give the winsockxpfix file a try :) I know it isn't the ISP because the internet is working fine on my laptop, so it's definantly got something to do with my mother's. Poor mum :D
She didn't have system restore turned on, so when I did, obviously there were no restore points available :S Don't know if there is ANY way to get around that one?

No, if it was turned on, it wasn't making restore points unfortunately. You should turn it on now anyway, for future problems:)

If it doesn't work, try uninstalling all modem drivers and reinstalling them after reboot. If it works fine on your laptop, it must be a software issue as you pointed out - so at least we know what needs to be solved.

You could try scanning the PC for viruses and spyware, that's always a possibility:)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online