1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sudden drop in Win 98 Performance

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by k_carcrispix, Jan 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. k_carcrispix

k_carcrispix Thread Starter

I have a P3 1000mhz pc running win98.
    I've never had a problem with performance - I keep it pretty clear of high memory programs to keep it running fast.

But as I was using the computer yesterday, I found that My Computer was operating very slowly - taking 2 - 3 second to load windows.

I rebooted, and the problem immediately returned. And now, every program I try to load starts very slowly or not at all. Yet the boot is as quick as usual. It is running 256mb ram and I usually keep it on all the time, and have never had this problem. I've even tried shutting it down for a while - so I know its not RAM resources.

The only thing I've done out of the ordinary is load Office XP. I installed it on the same session I later experienced the slowness on. Perhaps there's a compatibility issue? Or is it something completely different?

Any thoughts, please let me know.
    Thanks,
    DAN

2. k_carcrispix

k_carcrispix Thread Starter

Bit of an update:
    After booting, all programs work normally - but the second I load My Computer, then it starts to lag. The more I close and open it, the slower things go. By the third time, the computer freezes. Something is majorly sucking up resources in the filesystem. Yet theres nothing out of the ordinary in the Task Manager....

3. rugrat

rugrat

k_carcrispix, What are you system resources at? The amount of ram does not affect system resources, they are always controlled by the first 1MB of ram. If you are unsure, go to control panel, system, click the performance tab and it should show resources available.
    Also, all running programs do not always show in the taskbar or in the startup folder. Go to start, run and type msinfo32 then click on software environment, running tasks this will give you a list of what is running.

Let us know

4. pedroguy

pedroguy

Sorry for asking a dumb question but,what exactly does "load My Computer" really mean.
    On my w98se system,My Computer is a desktop icon.Something I'm missing here ?

In addition to the above post,you might want to just start with Explorer and Systray running at startup and add or start one program at a time from there until you find the resource hog

5. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

If you just loaded Office XP, to to MsConfig and unselect mosearch, the equivalent of FindFast.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65508

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice