Sudden font change in some browsers

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jorikvv

Hello

I am experiencing an issue with some of my browsers. It all happened after my laptop unexpectedly "died", even though it was at around 35% battery. What is strange is that, usually, when the battery dies, the laptop completely shuts off. This time the screen just turned black, while the cooling fan was still working some minutes after. I plugged the charger in and after some minutes it worked again and my session was continued (ie Google Chrome browser still open with my tabs available)

However, I noticed a font change. As you can see in the picture attached, this is how it looks like in Google Chrome and Firefox. The other picture was taken using Internet explorer, which, for some reason, was not affected (this is how other browsers looked before the incident).

I have run a full antivirus scan and nothing was found.
Using Windows 8.

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Are you really running Windows 8.0, if so upgrade to 8.1 and the update could help fix this issue.

Phantom010

Retired Trusted Advisor
What are the default fonts set to in Firefox? Look inside Options > Content. Are they set to Times New Roman (16)?

jorikvv

What are the default fonts set to in Firefox? Look inside Options > Content. Are they set to Times New Roman (16)?

Yes, all my browsers are set to Times New Roman by default. Changing the font does change the appearance of the letters, but the weird stuff remains (some letters in bold and looking strange).

jorikvv

Thank you for the suggestions.
I found how to fix the problem!

I simply went to "chrome://flags/" and disabled "DirectWrite".

jorikvv

Oh totally forgot about Firefox, as I don't use it very often. The font in Firefox still looks weird. I bet you can change it like I did with Chrome, its just more difficult with Firefox, so I'll leave it like that.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online