1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sudden General Slowness - I have a feeling its malware

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Noam09, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noam09

Noam09 Thread Starter

Hi,
    I've received great support here in the past, so I have a really good feeling that someone is going to be able to help me now as well. :)
    I can't say for sure that I'm infected with anything, but I have a feeling this is some sort of virus or other form of malware.
    I'm running XP Pro (Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.25GB RAM), but at the moment I am posting this through Ubuntu (dual boot), since XP is having a hard time booting. My computer is verrrry slow, sometimes it boots, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes I get the login screen and after logging in it just freezes. When it boots and logs in, it just performs very slowly. Also, I often get messages saying "Eset Service has encountered a problem and needs to close". This is the main reason I'm thinking this is malware. I usually scan everything I download before opening it, including program setup files.
    Last 2 programs I remember downloading+installing recently are (1) an update to VLC, and (2) TaggedFrog (a program that lets me tag files on XP). I'm not saying one of them caused this, but I'm not ruling it out either.
    I ended up uninstalling ESET NOD32 v3, in order to install NOD32 v4. The reason I hadn't updated up til today is because I had used v4 before, didn't like it (it slowed down my PC much more than v3, which is the reason I loved v3 more than all other antivirus programs). Currently XP has no antivirus installed, since everything got slower around the time I wanted to install it. I even started getting some Windows Installer errors.
    I guess if I rebooted a few times I could get into XP again, but if there are any tests I can run through Ubuntu on the XP hard drives that would probably be best.

Thanks for any help, I really appreciate the time and effort.
    Also, I'd just like to point out that I consider myself generally safe and aware, so I really can't explain how anything might have gotten into my system.
    It just so happens (really coincidental) I had gotten infected with malware a few months back, which RPMcMurphy (a member on TechGuy) helped me out with. Before that, I hadn't had any case of virus nor malware on this PC, and I've had this computer for nearly 4 years.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can lend a hand. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972014

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice