1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sudden lag problem

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by wingy5, Dec 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wingy5

wingy5 Thread Starter

I have had my PC for about two years and never had any problems. It runs perfectly fine, windows 7 would always be perfectly smooth and web browsing was a charm, playing any game was usually fine.

A day ago I went on my PC as usual and everything was normal. I downloaded a game on steam, while watching Game of Thrones, when an hour or two later I noticed the next episode I played was choppy.

I thought it was bad video quality but playing on other devices I found that it wasn't.

Since then I have been experiencing many lag problems.

- Boot up is much slower, it scans for devices far longer, and even the windows boot logo lags.
    - The bios menu is laggy, scrolling through it's menus and I have a big delay.
    - Opening and minimizing folders in windows is laggy, when it used to be smooth.
    - Video playback is slightly lower framerate?
    - Game menus slowly fade on to screen and it takes a while to respond pressing buttons.
    - In game FPS is fine, yet everything in the game is slowed down.

So far I have done the following:

- Checked HDDs for errors, none found.
    - Full system scan using AVG free edition, no threats found.
    - All HDDs are 0% fragmented.
    - Closing all programs and cancelling all unnecessary processes has no effect.

A very strange thing is, web browsing is perfectly fine using Google Chrome. I can open however many tabs I like and there is no decrease in performance, youtube videos 1080p stream and play flawlessly. Playing music on iTunes too is fine.

Using windows explorer is fine, in that changing folders, copying and pasting things and exploring is as fast as it used to be, but the actual windows shell is laggy.

My computer specs are:

64-bit Windows 7 Operating System
    Asus P7P55 LX motherboard
    Intel Core i5 CPU 760 @ 2.80GHz
    2x2GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX460 1GB Graphics card
    500GB HDD
    320GB HDD

I have checked my CPU temperature it is hovering around 60C degrees normally, 45C degrees at night.
    GPU temperature is 33C.
    HDD are at 29C
    MB at 27C

I have searched to my best efforts and cannot find any solutions to why this would be happening. I have checked my harddisks for errors and none have been found.

Also when I play games or watch movies, the sound doesn't lag but the video does. I thought maybe something was wrong with my graphics card? But I don't think that would explain the lag in the BIOS menus??

Please help

2. dai

dai

get a can of air and blow any dust out of the cpu fan and heatsink

if the m/b is at 27c then at idle the cpu should be 10c approx higher

if dusting does not bring it down,redo the paste on it

http://www.arcticsilver.com/methods.html

what power supply

make
    model
    wattage

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1081949

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice