1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sudden Loss of Outlook 2007

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Spettro, Nov 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spettro

Spettro Thread Starter

I have been using my Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop since August 2007 with Windows XP Professional and MS Office 2007 Professional. On Thursday last week I tried to open Outlook 2007 but got an error response as follows:

"Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. Errors have been detected in the file C:\Documents and Settings\kevin Edwards\Local Settings|Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst. Quit Outlook and all mail-enabled applications, and then use the Inbox repair tool (Scanpst.exe) to diagnose and repair errors in the file. For more information about the Inbox repair tool, see Help."

Couldn't find the .pst file (hidden, in fact there was no Local Settings folder) so checked 'hidden' box in next higher folder properties. As I was short of time decided to cancel and resolve later.

Two days later I started computer and got error message:
    "Unable to create C:\Documents and Settings\kevin Edwards\Local Settings\Application Data\BVRP Software\Net Waiting\MoHlog.txt file".

Clicked on OK button.

First thing I noticed was a lot of the icons on the desktop were missing. Trying to open Outlook gave the following response:

"An extension failed to initialize. Cannot open file: extend.dat. The file may not exist, you may not have permission to open it, or it may be open in another program. Right-click the folder that contains the file, and then click Properties to check your permissions for the folder. You don't have appropriate permissions to perform this operation."

At this point the Outlook window has partly opened. Click OK on the error message and Outlook appears to be trying to open further but every time the error message about the Inbox repair tool (see above) appears. Click on OK and the partially open Outlook window disappears.

Also noticed at this point that IE would open but the 'favorites' had gone. and the folder C:\Documents and Settings\kevin Edwards had also gone.

Decided to use 'Restore' (auto check point Tuesday last week) and this has brought back desktop icons and C:\Documents and Settings\kevin Edwards. Still not got favourites in IE.

Now had a browse/search on the internet for help and have tried "Stellar Phoenix Outlook Pst Repair v2.2". This enabled me to search for the pst file. This showed three files with .pst extensions but only one called \outlook.pst. However against this file the three dates for created, accessed and modified are all the same (ThuAug16 10:06:43 2007) which is the date I first set up the laptop. Should I apply the repair to this file?

Would appreciate any advice on how to retore Outlook with all my emails, calendar and contact data. May have to resign myself to loosing the emails and calendar entries but I do have contacts on my mobile phone.

Sorry for length of this but wanted to give as much information as possible.
    Regards
    Kevin (Spettro)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!