1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sudden loss of wifi, works fine with ethernet.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Timak, Mar 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Timak

Timak Thread Starter

Hi

I have a ZyXEL 600 wireless router - it has worked without issues for years.

However yesterday evening my wireless router suddenly stopped broadcasting a signal.

2 different PC's and a wifi dongle attached to our TV were suddenly all unable to find my network.

The WLAN light on the router was still lit up. I connected my Acer Aspire 5742Z laptop to the router via an ethernet cable and it worked fine. I connected to the router and it said there were no errors.

I phoned ZyXEL support this morning and they dialled in, confirmed the router was reporting it was working. They installed inSSIDer on my PC and verified no signal was being picked up - but other local wireless networks were being picked up.

They suggested buying another modem as it was very old and could have just reached the end of its life.

So I bought a brand new Sitecom 300N x2 modem this morning, connected it up and have the exact same problem. All the right lights are on the modem (solid WLAN, DSL and Internet lights), I can connect via an ethernet cable but none of my devices can find a the wireless browser (but can find other networks and connect to them).

I've spent hours on the phone today to various tech people and gone through channel switching, changing encryption etc but nothing has worked. The router is sat in the same place it has been for the last 3 years and the laptop is inches from it but still no joy.

As far as I can see I've ruled out:
    PC problems - 2 different PCs running different Windows versions - neither can find my network but can find others
    ISP issues - I can connect to the internet via ethernet
    Modem specific issues - I've tried 2 different modems both have the same problem - both manufacturers support say "it does sound strange" but cannot suggest what might be causing it.

Any ideas?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The SSID broadcast is enabled, and you've tried channels 1, 6, 11 and 13?

And no encryption?

The wireless mode is 'g only' or something that includes 'g'? If external antenna(s) it or they are secure?

"Inches" is too close. Keep the laptop five or six feet from the router.

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Why did you replace the modem if your Internet access was working just fine? You'll now need to re-register the old modem with the ISP if you want to return the new one. I would have purchased a different router instead.

4. Timak

Timak Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply

Yes I've changed channels, disabled security etc but it still doesn't appear as an available network.

I wouldn't usually have my laptop so close to the router but I seem to have the world's shortest ethernet cable. I've got the other laptop in another room and still can't find a network.

Not sure if the below info is useful.
    I was using it yesterday between 10am-4pm, shut my laptop lid then reopened it at about 6pm and my network was no longer available. I could see between 2 and 5 networks, including one hot-spot which I could connect to but not mine.

This was true across all my devices that connect to wifi.

The router setup has not changed and nothing on my PC has changed - as far as I am aware.

The problem is identical on a fresh out the box router with a completely different security set up, channel etc

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You replaced the router? It's the exact make and model as the old one?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It sounds like the old router's radio died. I would leave it unplugged for several hours and then reset to factory default settings to try to breath some new life into it.

The new router or modem/router is what I was asking about. The questions I asked are as specific as I could make them, as a "no" answer to any of them may lead us to a solution.

7. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

Have you checked with inSSIDer to see if the new modem/router shows up?

8. Timak

Timak Thread Starter

New router is a different make and model.

Old is a ZyXEL Prestige 600

New is a Sitecom 300N X2 router

I've had both ZyXEL and Sitecom connect to my PC and look at the set ups and both report the modem to be functioning properly and my security settings / firewall etc to be fine.

9. Timak

Timak Thread Starter

Yes, it doesn't but it does pick up my neigbours wifi

10. Timak

Timak Thread Starter

Thanks I'll try that.

11. Timak

Timak Thread Starter

Answers specific to new router

Did a fresh from the box install - once on my own and then again with their tech support dialled in.

Tried channels 6 and 11 (for some reason it only starts at 5 and 13 not an option)

Comes with default WPA2 encryption but switched that off as well - no luck

Sorry don't understand the g bit of your question. No external antenna.

Moved away and made no difference. Tried with a different laptop to no avail.

Help is being much appreciated!

12. Timak

Timak Thread Starter

Another update - remembered I have a second phone port upstairs so moved routers up there.

Same issue - says WLAN is broadcasting, detects ASDL, confirms internet connected - but cannot find the router on any device.

However plug an ethernet cable in and it works fine

13. Timak

Timak Thread Starter

Partial resolution.

I left inSIDDer running for a few hours - at several points for a few seconds at a time the network was available.

I then carried the laptop upstairs and as soon as I started moving the number of available networks went from 3 to about 30.

As the connectivity seemed so much better upstairs I persevered with the phone point up there and after a factory reset of the original router, then changing the port to 13, it suddenly appeared as an available network and I am working wirelessly now.

I'm still confused as to why the place I've had my router for the last 4 or 5 years has suddenly become a dead spot for wifi to the point where no signal is broadcast.

Still also confused as to why the brand new router doesn't even work on the upstairs connection.

Also don't know why it didn't work until I switched to port 13 or why I had to do a factory reset.

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It was somehow really screwed up. In UK Wi-Fi channels are 1 to 13. Limit of channels 5 to 9 sounds like (I think) France. But even so, you should have been able to pick those up.

What kind of phone wiring do you have? The best is to have a good DSL splitter/filter at the entrance. The non-filtered line then goes directly to the modem and everything else works off the filtered side. If that's what you have then it's obvious why other phone jacks do "not work" for internet access.

With the less desirable wiring that goes "all over" and require a little filter on everything except the modem it's easily the case that some jacks will be wired in a way that is more likely to work with (A)DSL.

Since this whole issue was/is so puzzling I just wanted to make sure that a typical 802.11g adapter was going to detect the network. I don't know if it would if the router was using 802.11n only, and it certainly wouldn't if you were using 802.11a (don't know if you have a dual-band router).

15. Timak

Timak Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

After 48 hours the problem is still puzzling.

I think there are 2 issues, neither of which fully explain what happened.

(1) The phone line into the house appears to have become "dodgy". My connection on the upstairs phone point dropped out several times yesterday, this very rarely happens. I think this might have been a complicating factor in dealing with the issue.

(2) It appears my house suddenly has a dead spot for signals. My router happily sat there for years but now if it does I can't pick up a signal coming from it on InSSIDer. If I move the router just around the corner as far as the cable will stretch I get a signal. This makes no sense to me at all. What could possibly be having such a big effect on my signal and why did it suddenly happen on a Monday at about 5pm?!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1046809

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice