1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sudden memory loss

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by acoventrykid, Feb 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. acoventrykid

acoventrykid Thread Starter

A little bit involved and difficult to explain.! My Outlook program started to act in astrange way. It would come up and within a few seconds left the screen. I checked my C drive and noticed that it showed red and I had about 1.5 GB left The day before I had about 35 GB left. I use a Maxtor Mini as one of 2 back up drives which is set to back up each day. I checked this and that was also in red and near capacity, and I had a message "last backup failed."

I have tried to locate, on my C drive, where this memory consumption occurred by looking for a file that would show around 33GB...no luck.

I am using a Toshiba laptop Vista.

Any ideas?

Gerald

2. -Fabez-

-Fabez-

Try using Space Sniffer to visual view how space is being used on your hard drive. This will make it much easier to find the file or flies.

3. acoventrykid

Fabez:

Thank you. Used program but no luck in finding problem .

4. -Fabez-

-Fabez-

Did you have an area that was excessively large compared to the rest of the blocks ? Have you changed any files or settings recently ?

5. acoventrykid

Hi Fabez:

Yes I had a large block about 50 GB that would not expand by clicking on it.

It had 3 labels attached to it which one applies I can't tell.

Roaming 50GB

AppData 57.5GB

Real Player 49.9GB

I could not find any of these in my computer except Real Player and that did not show this size of file....a bit of a puzzle!!

I have freed up some space on my C drive by transferring items to my external drive. So everything is working O.K. However, I feel something is residing in my computer absorbing this space.

Re changing files and settings. I do this in the course of using the computer but what and when I couldn't say specifically. I am not sure what you were looking for here.

Thank you for trying to help.

Gerald Smith

6. -Fabez-

-Fabez-

Do you have hidden files and folders visible ? Could you open the Real Plater Folder ? By files and settings I meant have you changed anything out of the ordinary that could have affected your system ?

7. [-SPLiNT-]

[-SPLiNT-]

try running CCleaner, that will probably clear up a large amount of space. This is assuming that it's not a virus.

8. acoventrykid

Hello:

I want to thank you for the help and suggestions. I worked with my son in Texas for 3 hours last night, using a great program called Team Viewer. He is a computer science major but has been very busy over the last few weeks. I told him about Space Sniffer and what I had found. As a result of this he was able, finally, to home in on the problem...boy was it a doozy. i'll try to explain it in layman's terms.

We found a virus in the form of a Trojan horse hidden, somehow, in Real player. The name was Treestate which did actuallly show up on Space Sniffer but only as a tiny white rectangle on top of the Real Player block. Before doing anything he researched the internet and found numerous incidents of this and it appears that Real Player is the main culprit, which disappointed me as I use it all the time. So he went to work to get rid of the problem, being very cautious. I recovered over 50GB of memory and now everything seems to be back to normal (fingers crossed here). Except now I don't hsve Real Player. He advised me to stay away fom it.

Anyway that's the story and once again thank you,

Gerald Smith

9. -Fabez-

-Fabez-

Glad you got the problem sorted :D If you want an alternate media player, try using VLC Media Player.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/906556

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice