1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sudden onset of big problem with DVD Burner + RAM questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by invinceable104, May 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. invinceable104

invinceable104 Thread Starter

Hello, I'm brand new here and I'm hoping I could get some help with this problem I've been having.

Recently, I've upgraded my HP a1230n's RAM to 2 gigs, which I am told should be more than enough to handle nearly every task without slowdown, and after chatting with an HP consultant, they told me how to make sure the 4x512mb sticks are running in dual channel, by alternating between the new and old sticks.
    I haven't noticed any difference, my computer still slows drastically when I'm doing video encoding or other types of multitasking, like scanning.

The second problem is mildly related to the first.
    My DVD burner doesn't exactly work correctly anymore, as everytime I put a DVD to play, it really stutters. My computer begins chugging (computer useage says 100%) and the movie is basically unwatchable. I've tried all my DVDs, even brand new ones, and it stil does not work.
    Burning a DVD with it also causes my computer to chug, and the burning process is extremely slow as well. I'm unable to do anything but to watch it take nearly an hour to burn something that originally took 15 minutes, tops.

I've contacted HP and did all their standard scanning and uninstalling/rebooting but to no avail.
    Could this somehow be related to the installation of a new graphics card?

Thanks for taking your time to read this message!

2. matt_aj

matt_aj

RAM has no effect on CPU Usage. You can have 50Gigs of ram in a slow machine and it will still bottleneck at the CPU. Video encoding uses all the CPU and barely any RAM. I would say it's your CPU that is too slow. What speed of CPU do you have?

3. invinceable104

Amd 3700+

4. matt_aj

matt_aj

If you are encoding video, that will take all the processor and everything else you run will slow down. I think those 3700+ run at about 2.4Ghz. My P4 2.4ghz machine takes about 5-6 hours to encode a movie. If I am encoding, I cannot do anything else. It takes all the CPU.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Check in Device Manager under ATA/ATAPI IDE Controllers. Check the properties of the IDE channel and position for your DVD, see if it's running in PIO mode. If so, that's one problem you should fix.

6. invinceable104

Thanks for the replies.
    @matt_aj: I thought a AMD 3700 would run equivalent to 3.7ghz? And video encoding before only took me an hour, tops, and I was still able to surf the web prior to my DVD drive going a bit bonkers.

@JohnWill: For some reason, I don't have ATA/ATAPI IDE controllers in device managers, I found them under "Unknown." I have two Primary IDE channels, two Secondary IDE channels and two standard dual channel PCI IDE controllers.

This is what it has under Primary IDE Controller:
    Device 0:
    Auto Detection (grayed out)
    DMA if available
    Ultra DMA Mode 5

Device 1:
    Auto Detection (not grayed out)
    DMA if available
    Not applicable

And under the second Secondary IDE Controller:
    Device 0:
    Auto Detection (grayed out)
    DMA if available
    PIO Mode

Device 1:
    Auto Detection (not grayed out)
    DMA if available
    Ultra DMA mode 2

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/464235

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice