1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sudden power loss

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jakesp, Mar 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jakesp

jakesp Thread Starter

Hi

I'm putting together a computer for my dad out of a few parts I no longer need and was creating a new partition on the hard drive in preparation for a format and installation of Windows.

However, whilst the the partition was being created the power died. Now the machine won't switch on. There is a red LED on the motherboard that lights up when the power button is pressed and the processor fan twitches, but doesn't start turning. There's no power to the CD-ROM drive.

I've tried disconnecting all disk drives, removing/switching position of RAM etc, but nothing seems to work.

The case and power supply are new and the machine was working fine for 30/45 minutes prior to this happening.

I'd appreciate any thoughts - I'm afraid it might be a problem with the motherboard, but am not really sure.

Thanks in advance, Jake

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Have you tried clearing cmos?

3. jakesp

jakesp Thread Starter

No I haven't - I'll give it a try.

Thanks.

4. jakesp

jakesp Thread Starter

Hi again - sorry for the delay.

I cleared the CMOS to no effect, but have since discovered the power supply was to blame. This was brand new and lasted a massive 30 minutes - beware Dabs value cases UK customers! :) (The front of the case was also cracked when it arrived!)

Luckily a friend had a a 2nd hand spare and the PC is now working fine.

Jake

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Glad you got it to work. Cheap low quality ps cause all types of problems.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/337242

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice