1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sudden problems searching for files in a computer with Windows XP Professional

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gbin, Aug 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gbin

gbin Thread Starter

I've long made good use of the ability to search for files in my computer running Windows XP Professional by providing the Search Companion with "All or part of the file" or "A word or phrase in the file," but the Search Companion has suddenly begun behaving strangely. Sometimes when I run a search now it claims it found no files at all matching my criteria even though I know such files exist, and other times it lists some or all of the files it found multiple times (yes, with multiple listings of a single file within a single folder). And when it says it found results now, too, some of the files it lists appear in blue rather than the customary black.

Why is it doing this (i.e. what did I unwittingly do to screw things up ;) ), and more importantly how do I make things right again? If it matters, I actually work on a few different computers, all of which are equipped with Windows XP Professional but only some of which I regularly update; the one I've noticed all the problems in is a laptop not readily connected to the internet that accordingly doesn't get updated regularly, and that only interacts with the other computers by way of files I swap around via a flash drive).

Many thanks in advance for any thoughtful, complete replies I receive!

2. gbin

gbin Thread Starter

Could it really be that no one can here can help me with this?...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/853395

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice