1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sudden requirement to log on

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by alwrmc, Nov 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

First Name:
    B.L.
    I hope someone might be able to shed some light on these.
    1. For about 2-3 weeks my computer has suddenly begun asking me to sign in to Comcast. I click on the "Keep me logged in" but it doesn't work, when I attempt to go online again, I have to sign in again.
    2. For about the same length of time I get sudden bursts of music from my computer. They suddenly start playing, continue for about 5 seconds and just as suddenly quit. That seems to happen more frequently if I am moving the mouse pointer about.
    I am using:
    Windows 10, latest update (KB3200970 installed 11/9-2016)

2. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

Why are you signing into Comcast?

3. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    What browser is being used that is requesting this login?

4. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

First Name:
    B.L.
    I use and have been using Edge. I am not a fan of Chrome. I prefer to keep things fairly simple and original when possible.

5. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

First Name:
    B.L.
    Because Comcast is my ISP.

6. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    I am a Comcast user and never had an request to login to their site.
    Can you post a screen shot of the login request?

7. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

First Name:
    B.L.
    upload_2016-11-30_12-30-4.png

8. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    The image appears to be that you have Comcast set as your home page of your browser.

What happens, if you just close your browser?

Does this happen every time you start up your machine, or just when you fire up your browser?

9. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

First Name:
    B.L.
    It only happens when I fire up the browser.
    Comcast is set as my home page. It should come up with my name in the upper right area of the home page.
    It has started coming up with "Welcome Guest" and just beneath that...."Sign in".
    When I enter my info (name/password) which it fills in when I put the cursor into the name box and select the name, then the ***** for the password is displayed.
    I then check the "Keep me signed in box" and continue as normal, except that I frequently get either music or an audio from one of the advertisements.
    Only the audio not the video portion, the audio plays for a few seconds, usually about 5 seconds, then it as suddenly ceases. It may happen again once or twice.
    Also I have been getting a pop-up message that asks me if a program has my permission to make changes to my computer. The happens when I boot up the computer.
    The program says it is REGEDIT and is about a game (FarCry 3: Blood Dragon) that I had and removed some time back. It was removed using Revo Uninstaller.
    The message info is as follows (Print Screen does not capture the message):
    "C:\windows\regedit.exe"/S D:\Program files (X86)\Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon\support\inst\add_regs.reg"
    When that message pops up the options are Yes or No. Does not seem to make a difference which I choose and nothing seems to happen.
    My earliest restore point is 11-26-2016 which is well after the problems began.

10. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    Did you add any new protection program(s) that may be removing cookies?

Or have you changes settings to NOT to save cookies or have them removed?

11. hewee

hewee

Think it is cookies.

That login page has Comcast.net cookie you may need my.xfinity.com cookie too.

But thinks are screen up with Comcast too because I have had trouble logging into the Comcast web base Email and have at times had to do it more then once.
    Also once logged i it shows the email but says Hello Guest. That is not right because it should show my name. Even had it should be as Guess and able to see email after I logged out and again that is not right. Then when I look at MyAccount it shows all things to me and my name.

Shows this now. So they made changes and guess that is when my trouble started and maybe yours too. Started on me a couple weeks back too.
    The new My Account has arrived!
    We've upgraded our account management site for a faster, easier experience.

Now if I am at MyAccount that shows my name and click to go to my Email it still has me as a Guest so that have odd things going on. Today I had no trouble logging in

login.png

12. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

First Name:
    B.L.
    I'm sorry hewee but I am not really following what you are saying there. I don't mean to be disrespectful, but the grammar is throwing me off. Are you saying that I should update/upgrade my Xfinity account?

13. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

First Name:
    B.L.
    This is hopefully the info you are talking about....a screenshot of my internet settings.
    upload_2016-12-1_14-29-18.png

14. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

First Name:
    B.L.
    This just popped up when I restarted my browser.
    I have no idea what that "containertag.js" is and the From is also unfamiliar to me.

View attachment 253598
    What-is-this.jpg

15. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

First Name:
    B.L.
    Googled that "containertag.js" and found that apparently it some type of advertising redirect. I found several sites that indicate they have removal instructions but they all seem to be very long, convoluted and require making changes to areas that I would be out of my element working with. I have run Malware Bytes and Norton Security Suite a number of times and they always return "No Problems Found". I think the containertag would explain the music/advertisements that pop up. Now if I can find a way to remove it that I can fully understand and follow.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1181632

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice