1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sudden rise in physical memory usage.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by BeardedCow, Sep 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BeardedCow

BeardedCow Thread Starter

Hello,

I am running a pretty good PC, with Windows Home Premium x64. All of a sudden I have noticed a sudden drop in my computers responsiveness and so I tried to figure out what was wrong. So I looked at task manager and noticed a high phyiscal memory usage, and then preceded to do all the regular stuff of scan with MalwareBytes, turn off unwanted services and start up programs. Nothing seems to be working. Here is a screenshot of task manager and resource manager.

[​IMG]

I just don't understand what is using up all the memory.

SPECS

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 5364 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti, 1023 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 941763 MB, Free - 794478 MB; D: Total - 12002 MB, Free - 1469 MB;
    Motherboard: PEGATRON CORPORATION, 2AB5
    Antivirus: Norton 360, Updated and Enabled

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Try the free Process Explorer. You'll have a better idea on what's actually using up that memory. Right-clicking on each process and selecting Properties will show a lot of details, like services related to the process, for instance.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You didn't show all of the Resource Monitor, but I assume that you've looked at the other entries and nothing has stood out.

Try Safe Mode. If the memory usage is normal that way at least you know you're not dealing with a basic system problem, but rather some program gone wild.

4. BeardedCow

I have looked at Process Explorer, and couldn't see anything with my untrained eye, that would cause it to be using 97%+ of the physical memory.
    [​IMG]

Posted just to see if you can.

I will now try safe-mode to see what it is like.

Thanks for the suggestions.

5. Phantom010

If Safe Mode is fine, then I would try a Clean Boot troubleshoothing procedure in order to isolate an offending application. Run it for both Services and Startup items.

6. BeardedCow

So I did a Clean Boot and was pleased to see that it had gone down, so I just started to use my computer again, mainly just browsing the internet while keep an eye on the number, and it just seems to do constantly increasing again, and has reached 90+% again.

7. Phantom010

Did you run the procedure or a Clean Boot alone? You need to isolate the offending application(s).

If so, would you say something in your browser is increasing memory usage?

8. BeardedCow

Well I disabled all the non-windows services, apart from Norton because it doesn't let me do it, but the problem still occurs.

9. Phantom010

In Normal Mode, what happens if you simply disable Norton? How's memory usage then?

10. BeardedCow

I don't know how to disable Norton, without completely removing it, but I turn off all the allowed functions and it didn't make a difference.

Thanks for the suggestions by the way.

11. Phantom010

You can use the Norton Removal Tool.

If there's no difference afterwards, simply reinstall Norton. Just don't forget Username, Password, or Product Key or whatever it takes to reinstall Norton.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!