1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sudden shut-downs and Speedfan reports 94ºC... cool to the touch.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Buml0r, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Buml0r

Buml0r Thread Starter

Hi everyone. My main computer is an Asus G2S laptop running Vista 32, purchased in October. Here are the specs http://hardwarezone.co.th/news/view.php?id=6787&cid=9

The problem: The computer has been suddenly shutting down. It's done it about four times over the course of a week, and two of them have been today. It shuts down very politely: it doesn't suddenly switch off like the power went out, the screen fades pleasantly to black, the computer thinks for a while, then switches off. The first time, I thought I'd set it into hibernation accidentally, but no. It boots up again perfectly without a hitch, but with no warning when it's going to shut down, it's a conern, especially since this still feels like my shiny new computer.

Sounds like it's overheating, doesn't it? But to further complicate things, it hasn't been doing this when I was doing anything that should overheat the computer. Usually I'll just be browsing a website or writing a word processor document. On the other hand, playing games that are heavy on the computer's resources and do heat it up to the touch hasn't made it switch off yet.

I downloaded SpeedFan to find out exactly what temperatures I'm getting. I don't fully understand what it says, but it is certainly suspicious. It listed a temperature for the hard drive, the two 'core' processors, and something that only identifies itself as TEMP1, although the configuration screen reveals this to be ACPI. I've googled to find out what that stands for and I'm still none the wiser, but it's the ACPI that's the key here. Everything is hovering around 40-50ºC, but this TEMP1 reading came out at 94ºC.

Some people I mentioned this to on IRC said this was highly unlikely, as it probably wouldn't boot at all if that reading is accurate.

The funny thing was, I put the computer into sleep mode and went out for half an hour, returned home, checked it wasn't hot to the touch (some residual warmth on the underside but only very gently). I turned it on, immediately opened SpeedFan - - 94ºC straight away! IRC people wondered whether this was a communications error then, that this TEMP1 sensor was giving a wrong report back to the computer and it was shutting down to protect itself from a temperature it was in no danger of hitting. Since that 94 didn't waver while all the other temperatures did, I thought that was probably it.

But I've had a medium-heavy desk fan aimed at the machine for the last hour or so, and that temp has now reduced to 70ºC. So I'm just confused again.

The machine is in warranty, so I can theoretically talk Asus into sending me a new one, but is that necessary or are we looking at a simpler problem here?

Addendum: This all began on Saturday evening, just after I installed Vista SP1. My first thought was to run a thorough virus/spyware check to make sure I haven't picked up some bug that infects the temperature sensor's report. However, a second problem seems to have arisen which I thought I was long rid of. Not long after I got this computer, so probably around September, a Windows update seemed to clash with any and all virus scanners I tried to use. Without fail, halfway through a thorough scan using AVG, Avast or Ad-Aware, the computer would grind to a halt and stop responding altogether until forcibly shut down. This problem was fixed in a later Windows update, and I remember Microsoft making mention of it in the update details. However, with SP1, the problem has returned.* Could this all be linked?

*At least with Avast, which is what I currently use. Yet to check AVG. Previously these both came under Microsoft's definition of "third-party virus scanners" though, and unless there's a first-party one included with windows that one of you can point me to, I suspect the same problem will arise whatever virus checker I try.

2. Buml0r

Buml0r Thread Starter

Update - It seems that 94 number did carry some weight after all. This time I shut down the computer rather than put it in sleep while I ate my dinner. Maybe 45 minutes later I boted up again, and SpeedFan gave back a temperature of 45-9 and a nice green tick instead of a flame icon. Perhaps I can beat this with a simple can of compressed air after all, but I'd like to know what everyone's opinion of this is.

3. DreadStorm

DreadStorm

First Name:
    Wayne
    I don't really have much experience with Power Management problems, but I can offer what I'd do if it were a desktop...

First, I'd get into the system's BIOS and disable any and all automatic-shutdown settings. (Mine has a setting for 70º shutdown, but I disabled it.)
    Then I'd get into any and all Vista power management features, disabling them as well. This is only to prevent shutting the machine down while you're doing something. ALSO, keep the fan running on it for now.
    Finally, I would fight to get your laptop replaced. Back everything up. From all that information you gave, and the steps you took, my bet is a defective sensor.

But then, to be on the safe side, see if anyone else here concurs or disagrees first before setting things in stone.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

It's a confusing program, are you sure you are looking at the right sensor? What does the temp in the bios say for the cpu?

5. matthew0155

matthew0155

mabye you could just stop using it as a computer and use it as a stove, cook some good eggs on that. Speaking of eggs, newegg has pretty good stuff even thought they dont ship to canada.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

There has to be someone you can help, why not go find them!

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The jokes forum is down the hall. If you aren't going to contribute something useful to the technical discussion, please don't contribute at all. (n)

8. Buml0r

Buml0r Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

Rich-M - I'm not sure I'm looking at the right anything I'm afraid. This is all new to me. Here's what I'm looking at currently:

[​IMG]

That Temp1 reading is the problem one.

I've had a look in the BIOS menu on boot and I can't find anything about temperature or automatic shutdown settings. Can someone point me in the right direction?

I've been able to have a slightly more objective look at what's going on. I left the computer completely shut down overnight. This morning when I booted it back up and opened speedfan again, the Temp1 reading was a cool 36 (possibly 38, I'm not sure), with a nice big green tick (or check, for Americans). Everything seemed to be fine. Within a few minutes however, that had climbed up into the 60s. I tried running a game (Settlers: Rise of an Empire) which usually pushes the resources slightly, and after something between five and ten minutes of that, I checked back to speedfan. The Temp1 reading had already shot to a whopping 100 degrees.

I turned the game off, shut down the computer, turned it upside-down and aimed my fan at it. It didn't even feel particularly hot - it's been hotter and worked perfectly - but the fan did cool it down. It's now running at 70 degrees.

Now, I don't know what an ACPI is or the implications of one overheating, and for all I know this might be nothing to do with why my computer was shutting down. But when it shuts down it does it in a way that resembles an emergency shutdown due to overheating, and that flame icon certainly seems to agree with the theory. I think if I have to call ASUS and ask for a replacement laptop, I'd like to be able to explain exactly why I need one. They're presumably going to want a very good reason to replace it.

What do you think?

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

OK I have not seen Speedfan show it this way before but have had so many issues I haven't used it in a while but it is plain to me the cpu temps are show by the "core 0" and "core 1". The temp 1 has to be the system board and that could mean a failure of a board chipset fan or simply inadequate cooling in the case./ perhaps if the board is ok you could have a front fan blowing into case and a rear exhaust fan removing air added?

10. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

My guess is that the Temp1 reading is bogus and you can safely ignore it. Speedfan is showing something in my PC running at 2 degrees C, and I am not planning to blow hot air into my PC to warm it up.

11. Buml0r

Buml0r Thread Starter

I must say, I am starting to wonder whether the SpeedFan thing isn't a bit of a red herring, I mean here I am looking at it and panicking every time it shows me its little flame icon, but the actual laptop doesn't feel any hotter than usual.

So let's look at this without SpeedFan getting in the way:

The computer randomly shuts down. It did it again today - then in the evening, it actually crashed. It crashed! As in reset without warning! That hasn't happened to me since I bought this computer / started using Vista, which I did because of how often the last computer did exactly that! It came as quite a shock, I can tell you.

Sudden resets or shutdowns, virus checkers freezing the system... you don't suppose it's just some silly clash between Vista SP1 and some other daft thing I've got on here do you? I'm going to try going back to the system restore point from before I installed SP1 (or just uninstalling it) and see what happens.

The last laptop we had, bought in 2002, did the very self-same thing when we installed XP SP1. Or SP2, I can't recall. We didn't even manage to fix it in the end, we just had to not install any more windows updates. Well not this time! It must be some daft driver clash or something, I bet I'll have to reinstall windows. Arse.

Thanks everyone, I'll keep you updated.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/705002

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice