1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sudden Shutdown (please help me or i will kill myself!!)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by maheyp, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. maheyp

maheyp Thread Starter

Hi! I've been having this strange problem for some time now. When i play games or simply browse the net my computer suddenly shuts down. Without any warning , without anything. What could it be from? I tried changing my video card drive, doesn't help; scaned for viruses,nothing found ; i even formated my windows partition and still didn't get rid of the problem.

I have a AMD Athlon XP 2600 ,ATI RADEON 9600 SE 128, 512 DDR...

2. n7Epsilon

n7Epsilon

Hi,
    Possible causes:
    1. Overheating CPU, check temperatures in BIOS, or using mainboard monitoring utiliy (eg: MSI CoreCenter, MotherBoard Monitor)
    2. Dying PSU (power supply unit), test another working PSU to make sure...
    3. Dying or dead RAM (check using MemTest86 http://www.memtest86.com/, create a bootable floppy and boot with it and let it run for a few hours...)
    4. Dying Mainboard..(the final possibility after eliminating the previous possibilities)....

3. maheyp

maheyp Thread Starter

it was the cpu... my cooler had tons of dust on it. It's clean now but it still won't work?!?!? Do i need a new one??

4. JayT

JayT

Wow - what a morbid thread. :rolleyes:

5. JohnO28356

JohnO28356

When you cleaned the dust off the CPU heatsink, did you remove it? Go on Google and download and install Motherboard Monitor 5. It will give you the temperature of your CPU. It sounds like the CPU is overheating.

6. maheyp

maheyp Thread Starter

yeah i'm just a huge idiot!!! sory for takin any of your time... Yes when i dusted the cooler i took it of and then put it backwards. It was overheating thanks everybody and sory again!!! :p

7. JohnO28356

JohnO28356

Well, remember, when you remove and replace the heatsink you have to replace the thermal paste between the HS and the processor. You should be able to buy some at Best Buy, maybe Radio Shack. Follow the manufacturer's directions for applying.

8. bobol

bobol

Don't apologise (y)
    Those with similar difficulties are glad you posted and all of us unaware of the solution want to see the excellent follow-up advice you get, and are happier still when you post back with the progress you make as a result. We're all learning too. :rolleyes:

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325615

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice