1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sudden Shutdown

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rich-M, Sep 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rich-M

Rich-M Thread Starter

This has happened a few times but months apart. The system is a Intel Quad core listed in my signature with GA965P DS3-1. Yesterday I was up about an hour and all of a sudden like a bullet it shut down completely. Every attempt to restart it would run for a second and then stop again 7 times in a row. Then I pulled power plug, shut power switch in back and pushed power button in front in about 6 seconds. I then waited a few minutes and switched everything on and it booted right up and stayed up for hours.

Again today booted up and worked for hours with no issue. I feel I proved it was a weak power supply, but why does it run fine for a long time after that? Is there anything like a bad sector on a hard drive in a psu or a dead spot?

The psu is a Thermaltake 430 watt about 2-2 1/2 years old that has never given me any problems and I don't game or do anything that would really stress a system. If I replaced the psu, I don't know what I would learn as this happens once in a great while.

Any suggestions?

2. frankjohn

frankjohn

Are you overclocking? Sounds like a heat PBLM.

3. Rich-M

Rich-M Thread Starter

No I have never overclocked anything. I check the temps frequently and the cpu is generally 43-46c and the board is usually 40. Of course this happens so seldom it could just be a spike in heat but not like first thing in the morning when the pc has been on for 10 minutes though.

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

Rich, from what I have seen with power supplys, when a machine shuts down just like you pulled the plug it is generally indicitive of a problem on the +5v rail. Removing the power connection from the power supply lets all the electrical circuits in the unit "reset".

The problem could really be anywhere in the unit, but most likely has to do with the power good/power ok signal. On both 20 pin and 24 pin ATX power supplys the power good/power ok signal is transferred on pin #8 (Gray wire).

Troubleshooting a power supply with an intermittent problem makes the problem almost impossible to diagnose. On an intermittent problem such as you describe, the first thing I would test would be to see if the response time is within specs.

Also, when the event occurs do you have any USB devices connected to the machine that are running at the same time?

5. Rich-M

Rich-M Thread Starter

Thanks for response Win2K. I use no usb devices except what is absolutely necessary so the only usb device on that pc ever is Logitech wired laser mouse. I have an external drive but it is firewire 800 and laser printer is parallel port.

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

BTW, in BIOS what voltage do you show on the +5v rail?

7. Rich-M

Rich-M Thread Starter

I don't see anything like that in the bios Win2k.

8. win2kpro

win2kpro

I downloaded the manual for your board and under PC Health Status where you would normally expect to find voltages and temperatures they show System Temp, CPU Temp and then for voltages all they have listed is Vcore, DDR, +3.3v and +12v but in the manual they don't show any actual temps, they just say OK. In the manual description they don't even list the +5v.

I wouldn't worry about the problem unless it starts occurring with some regularity. With this kind of problem you may wind up chasing "ghosts" and never figure it out unless you can make it fail consistently.

This machine I'm on now will "hang" loading windows about once every 10 days. I've run drive diagnostics on it, and everything checks OK. I just stopped worrying about it, and when some component completely fails, then I'll find the problem.

9. Rich-M

Rich-M Thread Starter

Yeah I see what you are looking at and that is all that is there 3.3v and 12V but nothing else.
    I think you are right. It has to do it more to make the search worthwhile I just wondered about the psu since it came back as a classic weak psu recovery.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/751407

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice