1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sudden Slowdown In Xp Pro

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by topazbest, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. topazbest

topazbest Thread Starter

XP PRO suddenly has a noticeable decrease in speed when opening programs. Takes usually 3 minutes to open any program.......speed is TREMENDOUSLY dimished from last startup. Tried rebooting, ran a program called CLEANER, it deleted temp explorer files,other garbage. But still ridiculously slow opening programs, etc. I have NORTON upto date, also spybot, and adaware...all show nothing. Realizing a NEEDLE IN A HAYSTICK PHENOM, where's a good place to start to see what's hogging these resources, etc.

RED

2. t bone

t bone

have you defragged?

3. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

If you are running on NTFS are you sure that the MFTs are in good shape?

If the MFTs are too small you should see a lot of fragmentation and if the paging file or MFTs are fragmented this can slow you down.

Is your RAM sufficient and have you added any programs lately?

4. topazbest

topazbest Thread Starter

I defragged but it took approximate 20 hours to do. Machine is XP ATHLON 2600XP, 512 RAM...no new programs added. Take alook at the HIJACK THIS LOG, do you see anything here?

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
    Scan saved at 7:29:52 PM, on 2/11/2004
    Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\AdvTools\NPROTECT.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
    C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
    C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    C:\Program Files\InterVideo\Common\Bin\WinCinemaMgr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Sierra\Planner\PLNRnote.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\rays\My Documents\HijackThis!\hijackthis1977\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer,SearchURL = www.msn.com
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.sportsillustrated.com/
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Advanced Tools Check] C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\AdvTools\ADVCHK.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CloneCDTray] "C:\Program Files\SlySoft\CloneCD\CloneCDTray.exe" /s
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSC_UserPrompt] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\UsrPrmpt.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
    O4 - Global Startup: InterVideo WinCinema Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\InterVideo\Common\Bin\WinCinemaMgr.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Event Planner Reminders.lnk = C:\Program Files\Sierra\Planner\PLNRnote.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\PROGRA~1\MESSEN~1\MSMSGS.EXE
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\PROGRA~1\MESSEN~1\MSMSGS.EXE
    O16 - DPF: {1663ed61-23eb-11d2-b92f-008048fdd814} (MeadCo ScriptX 5.5 Basic) - http://www.bestmark.com/support/ScriptX.cab
    O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061001/housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/xscan53.cab
    O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab

5. topazbest

topazbest Thread Starter

This XP machine is actually running slower than my GATEWAY PENTIUM 3/833 with 512. It has become practically unusable....any last minute calls before I take the day off work and reformat....just so slow that it is unusable......help...last call before the dreaded format C:\ REALLY HATE TO DO THIS, BUT HAVE TREMENDOUS WORK LOAD AND GETTING FARTHER BEHIND...whew

6. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

Before you do anything so drastic download CCLeaner and have a clean out of all the junk files. I can't see anything in the HJT log, but then I am not a HJT log expert.

After running CCLeaner and Disk Cleanup, removing all but the last System Restore point, and if your drive(s) are formatted to NTFS then download Diskeeper 9 Professional (Not the Home version) and check the Master File Tables with Frag-Shield. Then run a boottime defrag to defrag the MFTs and paging file.

20Hrs!

It takes me under 60 seconds to defrag this 80Gb drive if I do it manually, as Diskeeper defrags all four partitions in the background automatically 24/7, all year round.

I wonder if you converted any drives and got 512 byte clusters?

Do you know if your drives are formatted to 4096 bytes per allocation unit?

If you open a command window by typing cmd in the Run window and then typing chkdsk (with no added switch) it will tell you.

"4096 bytes in each allocation unit" is what you should see.

7. topazbest

topazbest Thread Starter

Ran CMD and it says

32,768 bytes in each allocation unit?

8. topazbest

topazbest Thread Starter

FAT 32 FORMATTED
    32,768 bytes in each unit
    2,500,507 total allocation on disk
    1,832,372 allocation units available.

Ran the cleaner and dumped excess thanks!! YOUR MOVE...

9. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

It is an 80Gb drive. (?) Is it partitioned? Any reason not to use NTFS? Over 32Gb is not fully supported for FAT32 so that could be a problem.

If it was mine, I would back up all my data and convert to NTFS.

Then head over to this post http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?p=2349241

10. topazbest

topazbest Thread Starter

Headed to the FORUM article. DRIVE CONDITION REPORTED AS HEALTHY, FAT32.WHen I typed CMD, it says..." 32,768 in each allocation unit". Downloaded and Ran DISKEEPER 9.0 PRO, noticed ever so slight difference after following instructions, it went through all the stages, etc. To be more specific ( if it will help you), it seems the time lag between when I click on an ICON on the desktop and the actual program opening is a HUGE LAG, this is true of all DESKTOP programs, I tried opening the programs from the START/PROGRAMS option, but still way too slow. ONce a program opens it is not too bad, but that first click to get it up and running is a HUGE DELAY! Oh, DISKEEPER ran the Disk utility defrag pretty quickly. Any other ideas? THANKS AGAIN....

11. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

Well I wouldn't run FAT32 on an 80Gb drive. So I would partition and convert it, and make sure that the MFTs were big enough, defragmented.

I have just come back from padding the MFT on an Athlon machine with an unpartitioned 60Gb drive running on NTFS with 448Mb of RAM and the performance increase is very noticeable.

There are a LOT of these iMedia machines around here as there is a big Packard-Bell showroom and there are a lot of vendors who stock them.

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

I've tried XP and Windows2000 on a 80 gig drive with both FAT32 and NTFS. Saw absolutely no difference in how anything took to load. If there are problem, it is likely not with the file system but the operating system.

Rampage, exactly what do you mean by "padding the MFT". Sounds like some other confusing information that has been going around.

13. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

14. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

Read for yourself.

http://www.barrys-rigs-n-reviews.com/reviews/2004/utilities/dsk90pro/dsk90pro1.htm

15. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Again, since they have FAT32, it doesn't seem relevant to start a tangent discussion about NTFS.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328757

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice