Sudden Slowdown In Xp Pro

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.
topazbest,

Usually the Temporary Internet Cache files, although you might as well get rid of them, seldom cause such severe performance degradation. But you do want to make sure you clean out your user's TEMP directory and then reboot.

Also, since it started after a single reboot, it would seem unlikely that from one boot to the next, your hard drive got that fragmented that it now takes 3 minutes to open any program. Possible but extremely unlikely given the description of the symptom.

Do you recall what changes were made just prior to this happening...being on the Internet, any installed programs, changes to the system etc. Usually you don't get this drastic of a slowdown just on it's own.

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
And, as I asked in the other thread, how can padding a MFT zone that is not yet completely allocated, have any affect on performance.
(which will take this thread on a tangent, since it is fat32 related, so the other thread would be the appropriate place to respond)

topazbest:
You obviously have slowdowns initiating programs, but are there corresponding slowdowns when you open files. IE: Run something like Word, you see the lag, now open a file. Is there still a lag? Start something like Media Player, when you play something,is there a lag? When you play MP3s or Videos are there noticeable disruptions?

WhitPhil, you know Rampage isn't going to answer that in that or any of the other posts. Seems he had one instance where it supposedly helped solve a problem and is now on a rampage to make that the solution for everyone.

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
Bob:

Yes, I "sort of" know that. But since he "seems" to know what is going on (since he is making these recommendations), it would be nice to understand why he believes these things will work, since I see no reason for them.

WhitPhil,

Never going to happen. Might want to look around at what new things are being added to other threads in this forum. Just amazing. Will look forward to reading your replies.

topazbest

The only program I can recall installing during this MELTDOWN was a driver for HP printer. I removed this driver...this XP computer is networked with 2 other 98 based machines. I had attempted to put 98 printer drivers on the XP PRO machine in question and then use them via network to have the 98 based computers to print to one central printer. Was unsuccessful, so removed 98 drivers from the XP PRO machine. I would say generally all programs are opening slow, I.E. , WORD, etc. I am now making a DVD backup of files( incase I have to reformat, which is looking more likely than ever), and my DVD copy program gives an estimate of 675 minutes to back up 4.4 G of data to a DVD? WOW...This is a PIONEER 4X DVD writer. Initially I thought some type of HIJAACKER program had grabbed resources, etc. Have NORTON,ADAWARE, SEARCH N DESTROY, THE CLEANER 4.0,RUNNING....I did the DISKEEPER 9 PRO idea, still in same boat. IS IT TIME TO TOSS IN THE TOWEL?

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
As a test, you may want to "un-network" the other boxes and see if there is any affect on the XP one.-

WhitPhil,

Good idea. Might want to also take this computer off the network as well. Try reducing the possibilities as much as possible. Might want to look at your processes and see if anything unusual stands out.

Also haven't heard back on a single post in any of the forums anywhere from Rampage. Hopefully he's out doing some research and can respond back with some technically accurate informaotin.

topazbest

DELETED CACHE/TEMP FILES...no improvment. Just on a hunch, I looked at the PROCESS RUNNING and found this...see anything here?

NPROTECT.EXE.........4,176K
NAVADSUC ......... 2700
DLService....... 8580
PLNRnote 2504
WinCinemaMgr. 2460
MSMSGS 3908
QTTASK.... 2044
ccApp......... 8996
Soundman........ 2356
Taskmgr....... 4432
Explorer........ 22,784
CCEVTMGR......... 3172
Spoolsv......... 6012
SVCHOST........ 4660
SVCHOST..... 3840
SVCHOST..... 15,956
SVCHOST.... 4848
ATI2EVXX.... 1716
LSASS....1396
Services.... 3356
WinLogon.......1392
CSRSS........... 3888
SMSS......... 472
System........216
SystemIdle....20

All of these were.exe files, and the numbers were the K values of each process. The CPU usage is listed at 100%. Not sure if this type of data helps ....but thought it might give an idea as to what is running...see anything?

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
CPU usage shouldn't be at 100% unless you are intentionally running some app(s) that soak the processor.

Click on the "CPU" heading to sort by CPU.
Which process(es) are at the top?

RAM-PAGE

Banned
Bob Cerelli said:
WhitPhil, you know Rampage isn't going to answer that in that or any of the other posts. Seems he had one instance where it supposedly helped solve a problem and is now on a rampage to make that the solution for everyone.
In fact, six out of ten drives, this week alone, needed to have the MFT adjusted by Frag-Shield.

All have improved performance.

Then PLEASE, we have been asking repeatedly, PLEASE explain how can padding a MFT zone that is not yet completely allocated, have any affect on performance.

Still have not had a response anywhere, on this or any of your other posts even remotely going into any detail about this. The only other response was literally a "guess" on your part. The quote is your word.

Rampage,

Also, since the computer in this post has FAT32, please don't continue to confuse the problem and solution by continuing to post information about NTFS. It simply doesn't apply here.

If you do want to reply to information about NTFS, there are numerous other posts where we have been asking for that detailed information. Again, other than your guess, none has been provided.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts