1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sudden USB Adapter Issue... !!??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nick777, Nov 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nick777

nick777 Thread Starter

Hey guys - new to the TSG forums.

Having a really confusing issue with my XP PC regarding my usb wireless adaptor device.

I was running a Billion Bipac 3011n, everything was working perfectly fine for about a month.
    Just today, I started to experience a few frequent drop outs. My usual solution to this is to simply unplug and replug the device. As I did this, I got a very strange "this device can run faster" error, stating the usb port I was plugging into was a USB 1.0 port - which is simply not true.

On top of this, I was prompted to install the driver for this device - just as if I had plugged it in for the first time. The Realtek software I was using did not recognise the device and thus - no internet connection.

After doing the usual troubleshooting things - reinstalling both the software and the driver, I continued to experience the same issues. I noticed when going into Device Manager, the device was listed with a yellow "?" with a "!" on it.

I searched around for a solution without any success.

After being frustrated, I decided to install an older USB wireless device that had previously worked on the same computer. I installed the drivers for this other device (Netgear WG111v2) and then experienced the same thing - yellow "?" and "!" without any response from the netgear software.

What is going on here? Why aren't any of my usb devices working?

If anyone can help me out here, I would be truly appreciative.

Thanks a lot.

2. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Did this just occur? First solution run a system restore choose a date from when you're usb drives were functioning. Also can I have the exact model and make of your PC?

3. nick777

nick777 Thread Starter

The only other thing that happened around the same time as this incident was a auto system update...

I did a rollback to about a week earlier, and I still experienced the same issue. This is really confusing me.

My PC is a home built.

Windows XP SP3
    Asus P5P43TD PRO
    Intel E7500
    2GB Kingston Ram

4. dant22185

dant22185

I would start by going to mother board manufacturer's site and installing all the latest drivers. Also flash the MOBO with the latest bios and test.

5. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Besides rolling back the drivers can you try a system restore prior to the updates and usb error?

This is the error right? "This device can perform faster - This USB device can perform faster if you connect it to a Hi-Speed USB 2.0 port. For a list of available click here."

It's stating or claiming you're using the wrong usb port...I believe this update- upgraded bios firmware settings...

Open the Device Manager and check the USB controller type. If your device manager shows an ENHANCED USB Host Controller, the system has High Speed USB (USB 2.0) capability. The key word is ENHANCED. If you have an ENHANCED USB Host Controller then you have High Speed USB (USB 2.0) All other types are USB v1.0 or v.1.1.

Also check your BIOS setting-
    Preview: Integrated Ports or Integrated Peripherals menu:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If the USB controller or host controller is disabled, no USB ports will be recognized by Windows, and consequently no USB devices will be recognized either.

What if some USB ports are usable, but others are not? Some systems enable you to specify the number of USB ports in BIOS setup.

To solve problems with "missing" USB ports, make sure the following settings are enabled:

USB controller

USB 2.0 controller (aka USB EHCI controller)
    Save changes, exit BIOS setup, and your system will restart, providing access to USB ports.

Device Legacy Support- enabled

6. nick777

nick777 Thread Starter

Cheers for all the useful information. I've done a system restore to over a week ago and I'm still having the same issue.

When I did the restore, I also had an error (yellow ?) with something called "SM Control Bus". I sussed it out and ended up getting the chipset from the Asus website and it fixed that. But it didn't fix the usb issue.

I looked at my BIOS settings and everything appeared normal.

Also to be clear, the "this device can run faster" error is only happening with one of the usb adapters, but they are both having driver installation errors.

Thanks for all your help so far.

7. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

8. nick777

nick777 Thread Starter

I've tried updating everything I can. There doesn't seem to be an underlying cause as to why this happened...

9. nick777

nick777 Thread Starter

Alright so just an update, I am having similar issues with my iLok usb device. This shows that it is not the devices themselves.

I would like to add that I did remove the usb device without safely removing first... could this have been the cause?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025953

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice