1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Suddenly asx url's do not play in Windows Media Player

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by hakumaster, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hakumaster

hakumaster Thread Starter

Hello,

Lately, Windows Media Player refuses to play asx url's (usually web radio streams). I suspect, though I'm not sure, that this started with the XP update to SP3 (which has provoked other troublesome hitches in my system).

The symptoms are the following:

Media Player starts all right, there is some activity as it tries to "connect to the media", then this activity stops and a dialog box appears, the gist of which is: "Cannot open. Please verify that the path and file name are correct and try again."
    (The file name and path are correct of course, they worked perfectly well in the past.)
    Upon clicking on "Advanced" these errors show up in various forms.
    C00D002B
    C00D151D
    800C000D

I have looked up the file associations (which seem allright, so far I can see: asf and asx extensions are associated with Win MP. I have tried to associate the extension to another player (QuickTime or WinAmp). Despite this, Win MP keeps coming up when trying to connect an asx url (in other words, the association is not respected even after a system restart).

I also checked to see whether there was some conflict somewhere (for example two players associated with the same extension - practically impossible, but one never knows).

Please note that other file associations linked to Win MP (org etc.) work without a hitch. It is just that asx association that gives me trouble (more especially the url: http://classicalwebcast.com/opera.asx).

It is not a huge problem, but still quite troubling.:rolleyes:

Looking forward to receive a reply.

Hakumaster

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!