1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Suddenly cannot access WORD or EXCEL docs

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by antiquetennis, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. antiquetennis

antiquetennis Thread Starter

Well it seems like I encounter the strangest problems.
    My environment is Windows 98SE
    I've used WORD extensively and EXCEL occasionally.
    Then today I could not open a document for either program, nor could I activate the programs. I received an Illegal Operation message, followed by a Restriction error message:
    "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer." Surprise!
    Everything else seems normal on the computer (Gateway SOLO 9300 laptop with big specs). No problems with internet access, nor running other large programs.
    Has anyone out there encountered this error? How do I find out what these supposed "restrictions" are, and how to get rid of them.
    Thanks for any suggestion. This is a great site.
    Charles

2. Miz

Miz

Have you installed any new software recently? Have you done a virus scan? Do you have an anti-spyware program installed? If so, have you used it to scan for spyware and removed any found?

3. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

You've probably already tried it... but if you haven't done a cold boot since the problem arose, you need to.

- Castleheart :cool:

4. antiquetennis

I have tried a cold boot, no change. I have not installed new software recently. I have AVG 6.0 with latest updates and no virus was detected. I also have Ad-Aware 6.0, though not the latest build or ref files. I downloaded the new 181 build last night, but it arrives with a .exe.php suffix and I could not execute it - asks for what program to run it under, and nothing struck me as obvious to select.
    I did notice many ad cookies in my cookie file, but why would they impose "restrictions" on running WORD?
    Follow-up question: I've never had to do a restore, but can I selectively re-install just WORD and EXCEL from the original Office cds that came with my system, or do I have to restore everything?
    I do have GO-BACK on my computer, which I have used effectively in the past to solve a bad HP scanner install a couple years ago. But I have not tried to GO BACK to a particular day as I had not accessed WORD or EXCEL in about a month or so.
    Hope someone has some insights - I'm stumped.
    Thanks, Chas

5. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

6. antiquetennis

Thanks for the link - that is the exact error msg I get when trying to access WORD or EXCEL, or a document previously created by either program. The technique they provide assumes Explorer/Outlook, but I have always used Netscape.
    Then I realized I forgot that I did install MailWasher about a month ago. This useful mail handling utility first provides a list of my current e-mails, and gives me the option of deleting, bouncing or blacklisting them BEFORE they are downloaded to my Netscape Mail handler. It has worked just fine, and I like its functionality. Before MailWasher I had to endure time consuming downloads of bogus e-mails that had large (virus) files attached. Now I have the option of deleting those from the list before the download occurs.
    But maybe the installation of this program somehow affected my Registry which in turn caused the problems with Microsoft Office programs.
    If I modify the Registry as they suggest in the link you provided, I hope that will not corrupt my MailWasher. I will try to contact MailWasher developer to ask if he has encountered this problem.
    Thanks for the inputs - you guys are great! Chas

7. antiquetennis

The problem took another strange turn. When trying to activate WORD or EXCEL I no longer get the Restrictions error message as described above! Instead an error msg about a missing DLL ...
    So it seems more like file corruption, though it is odd it would affect both WORD and EXCEL at the same time.
    Not sure if installing Mailwasher did something bad to my Registry, but instead of digging into the Registry I simply performed a Repair Microsoft Office function from the original CD that came with my system, re-installing both programs. Now they work fine.
    I don't know why the corruption occurred but will not pursue it further.
    Now if I could just get rid of the blank task that pops up on my task bar every time I get on the internet (clicking on it makes it go away, but why does it appear?) ... and the *very* annoying awake from Standby mode to a black screen 10-20% of the time ...

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168882

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice