1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Suddenly can't access certain websites

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Elanor, Sep 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Elanor

Elanor Thread Starter

Hi. I have a 796kbps DSL connection (slow, I know), and it's just made up of a DSL modem and my laptop (no routers or anything like that).

I was surfing just fine till about 12 hours ago, and then had to go AFK, so I switched off my modem and my laptop.

Came back about six hours ago and found that I couldn't connect to sites I regularly visit, such as Photobucket, TV Squad and a private torrent site.

I had visited all three of them earlier on in the day.

The sites themselves aren't down, I have ascertained. And when I run pings or tracert commands, I get normal results and responses. But the sites absolutely refuse to load on Firefox, IE and Netscape.

I have restarted both my modem and my laptop and changed the alternate DNS as I was advised to do. I also tried adding an HTTP proxy, and then removing it. Nothing works.

I've been told that since my pings receive responses and the tracert command works, I really should be able to connect to the sites. But I can't.

I didn't install anything before switching off my computer earlier.

Any suggestions on what might be wrong and how I can fix the problem?

Thank you!

2. radu5er

radu5er

Can you not connect to only the sites you mention or are you locked out of all sites?

3. Elanor

Elanor Thread Starter

Only those sites, as far as I know. I can surf other websites normally.

4. radu5er

radu5er

Try typing in the URL as:

http://66.11.49.196:80

this should take you to Photobucket.

Re-post here and let me know if that works.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Since TRACERT works with a URL, it's obviously not a IP address resolution issue. I suspect it's something locally.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/504412