1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Suddenly Can't Connect

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Patinoire, Jan 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Patinoire

Patinoire Thread Starter

I got a new laptop about a month ago. During this time I've been connecting to the internet from my house with a wireless network that I found. I have windows XP with SP2 and haven't really had any problems with the wireless connections before. This morning I opened Internet Explorer and it said my home page could not be opened, I tried other sites as well and nothing.

I tried changing the Internet Options settings also. I read in one place I should have it automatically detect my settings, somewhere else I read I should un-check this setting. Neither one changes my problem anyway. I have very good signal strength and windows as well as Atheros Client Utility both say I'm connected. I tried repairing the connection several times and it still is the same. Everything looks normal and like I'm connected but when I try to access anything it says the server can't be found. I tried using Netscape also and it was the same problem. I tried connecting to a couple of other unsecured wireless networks that are within my range, and it was the same so I don't think the problem is with the network.

I tried resetting the winsock ... um... things(I don't understand any of this but someone else in this forum had a similiar problem and that's what the person who replied told them to do) anyway i did it and the problem's still here. I also restored to a system restore point from yesterday when everything was fine and it didnt help.

Also, is there any way I can find out where the wireless network is coming from? It's just always been there and it's name is "default" so there's no help there. Like using the MAC address or something?

I really appreciate any help that can be given ;)

Kate

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

WINSOCK2 FIX
    =============
    If you can't access the Internet with programs like IE, Outlook Express, or other web browsers, you may have corrupted Winsock entries.

To Remove the existing winsock2 registry entries (regardless of the OS) run:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/reg/xp_del_winsock.reg

To add WindowsXP clean entries back in again, run:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/reg/xp_winsock.reg

WINDOWSXP with SP2

There is a new command you can run with SP2 which will reset the Winsock2 registry entries back to their default setting:
    netsh winsock reset catalog

TCP/IP RESET
    =============
    If you need to reset the TCP/IP protocol stack with XP you need to run a small script:

netsh int ip reset [ log_file_name ]

the log_file_name needs to be specified.
    e.g. - netsh int ip reset ip_reset.txt

3. Patinoire

Patinoire Thread Starter

Ok but I said I already tried this winsock thing and I don't know what to put for my log file to reset the tcp ip protocol stack... should I just make up a name or is there already a log file in existence?

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Not sure what was specifically tried or what the source of the problem is, which is why I included both the Winsock and TCP/IP fixes.

But what exactly do you mean by "I've been connecting to the internet from my house with a wireless network that I found" and "is there any way I can find out where the wireless network is coming from?"

5. Patinoire

Patinoire Thread Starter

I guess you have the winsock and tcp ip reply premade because of...unexperienced people like me, :) but I saw it like exactly the same as a reply for someone else's problem and I didn't what it said before I posted my question. Except for the tcp/ip part because I don't know what log file name means exactly. I don't know what to put. I did the winsock resetting part though.

I meant that when I searched for available wireless networks from my house, there is one that has a very strong signal and is unsecured and I connect to it and use the internet this way. I have no idea who owns it or whatever though and I'd like to know if it's coming from some Starbucks near my house(I live in a busy part of Chicago) or it's like one of my neighbors network. I don't want to be doing something bad by using this connection without having any knowledge of from where it's coming. All I know is that it's named "default", it's always there and the signal is always strong.

All of my knowledge about wireless networks comes from the past month's experience with my computer. Before I got this laptop I know literally nothing about it so I'm a little confused about the whole thing. I don't want to be so ignorant about it but I can't seem to find any place on the internet that really explains the whole idea in detail.

Anyway, just today when I opened my computer and did everything as I normally have been it almost seemed that the browser didn't know I was connected. It acted like if you open your browser and tried to go to websites when your computer isn't connected. The only thing it didn't do was say I was not connected and ask me if I wanted to work offline or try again to connect. But I couldn't visit any websites even with things like updating my virus program or something like that. But the whole time the little wireless network icon said I was connected and said I had a very good signal.

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

The reason I made all those Reg files is that not only on this forum but others and e-mails I get, a lot of folks are having similar problems. Didn't see too much out there except for XP so I just made them available.

As far as getting to the Internet, first lets see if the problem is with your Internet connection of the browser.

Open a cmd prompt ( start / run / cmd )
    Then "ping 199.181.164.1" - no quotes - do you get a reply
    Then "ping www.yahoo.com" - no quotes - do you get a reply

If this works then you at least have a connection to the Internet.

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

As far as resetting TCP/IP, just type in exactly what is in the post:

netsh int ip reset ip_reset.txt

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324291

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice