1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

suddenly cant read audio CD's

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by dmcneela, Jan 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dmcneela

dmcneela Thread Starter

my CD-ROM\DVD drive suddenly cant read audio CDs correctly! and the little speaker symbol from the bottom left of my screen has been gone for a few months now! what can I do?

2. hottesttotty

hottesttotty

Hey dmcneela....just wondering what program you're using to try and play your cds? Also, have you recently installed any other programs that play/edit audio? When you say it doesn't "read them correctly" what exactly IS it doing??

You may want to go into your control panel, under multimedia and check to see what your settings are for cd audio to make sure they're assigned correctly.

Also, you should be able to go into your audio in the control panel to put the "speaker" control back into the taskbar.

TT:)

3. dmcneela

dmcneela Thread Starter

hi hottesttotty,

firstly thanks for the reply,

Recent software: i recently installed NOKIA SDK editor - it actually turned out to be something totally different to what i thought it was - but when i was uninstalling it, which is after the problem started, the uninstaller said that it was using common media files and that if i deleted them it could cause problems so i didn't delete them, but it was a bit suspect.

I was using windows media player and EJay free player, both of which have been on my computer for ages and have worked properly before. other then that i have not installed any 'directly' related music players/software since the problem started.

The Problem: firstly it says that is can not read the the CD correctly (well i am pretty sure that is says that, but my computer is german and my german isn't great, so i could be a little off the direct translation :), ) and then when i look at the cd in explorer it shows the 'tracks' with media player icons, but there is about 50 of them (the icons) and there is only 10 songs on the CD! all the CD's i have used are all origanals and have worked in the computer before.

hope that helps you a little more to help me,

thanks a mill,

Declan.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I'd try following the instructions in this link for removing and reinstalling Windows media control devices. Only do it for BOTH "wave audio" device and "CD audio" device.

http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;Q136983

You may also need to separately remove and reinstal audio compression codecs through Add/Remove programs>Windows Setup>Multimedia>Details.

You should have your Windows CD handy for these procedures; or if you have a c:\windows\options\cabs directory you can restore from there when prompted.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66195

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice