Solved Suddenly Chrome captcha appears when I do searchs-why?

pcguy9441

When I google why do I now get a captcha from google before a search, I get this answer:

" CAPTCHA can be triggered by automated processes sometimes caused by spam bots, infected computers, email worms or DSL routers, or from some SEO ranking tools. If you ever get one of these CAPTCHAs, you simply need to verify yourself by entering the characters or clicking the correct photos.

Problem is NONE of this applies to me. No automated process here. Just a guy with 10 fingers trying to google something. What gives? Seems to be a spotty, not all the time thing. I did just install a fresh Win10, but I saw this before too, so don't think it's that.

More info below but does not explain why me and why now?

https://justaskthales.com/en/why-do...plained that a,or clicking the correct photos.

managed

Allan
Try logging in to Google before searching and see if the captchas stop.

pcguy9441

Same thing when I enter "google.com". Get captcha first.

When I google the problem there are instructions on how to remove via google settings but instructions do not match actual google. No reference at all to captcha in advanced settings as described.

pcguy9441

Using Chrome. Yes have gmail/google account but seldom use it. I google stuff in chrome by entering search term in chrome URL window. Been doing this for years with no problems.

You're saying I have to login to my gmail acct before googling something? That just puts me into my gmail email which I quit using.

I just want googling to work like it did a month ago and going back since the inception of google.

managed

Allan
No, I'm saying if you are already logged into your google account you may not get the captchas when you do a google search.

Couriant

James
I am not sure why this would be an issue now, but try clearing the entire browsing data to see if that helps.

1607024610969.png

If this doesn't work, try using Incognito Mode.

pcguy9441

Nope. Clearing browsing data and going incognito does not fix it.

Worked ok for 2 searches till I purposely misspelled a word in the 3rd search. I usually use google search as a spell checker and it finds the word even if I mangled it badly. Never had a problem with Captcha till a few wks ago.

If you google this problem you get hits explaining how to go in to chrome settings-->advanced and turn off Captcha. Only problem is there is no such setting I that can find.

plodr

Liz
So when you start here https://www.google.com/
you get a capcha?

I ask because I don't whether I'm signed in to gmail or not. (Palemoon browser on Windows 7). I'll try a few other browsers.

Just fired up Firefox, no capcha.
Fired up Vivaldi, no capcha but a popup about installing a newer version of Chrome which I dismissed with a no thanks.

Last edited:

pcguy9441

Ok, sorry, forgot to mention last reply that when I search via the google.com link you provide above I DO NOT get captcha, even if a word is misspelled. But I only did 4-5 test searches.

Just not accustomed to doing it that way since Chrome started letting us search from their URL addr window. But, guess I could start doing it that way.

Still begs the question, though, what changed? Something is still amiss if what worked for years suddenly does not.

Also, what's with the supposed "fix" below that makes no sense. There is no such advanced setting that I can find. Maybe you can find it. Or maybe an obsolete post based on an old rev?

Capture.JPG

Wait I have an idea! Download Malwarebytes from my link and run a scan, it could be some kind of adware

pcguy9441

I have Malwarebytes and am running it now. Runs daily on autoschedule. It found nothing yesterday, but thanks for the idea!

Here's captcha screen shot. Have to leave now for Costco/HD run, back in a few.

(PS: I have no interest in carburetor repair. Just a PTSD flash-back from a couple lifetimes ago)

Also, that is not any IP address I recognize. Certainly not my computer IP.

edit: Mbam found nothing on scan running while I was typing this.
not a robot.JPG

Couriant

James
so you didn't even did that search?

What extensions do you have?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online