1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Suddenly clean XP comp won't even consistently ping gateway

Discussion in 'Networking' started by daredavil, Aug 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. daredavil

daredavil Thread Starter

Apologies in advance if this has already been discussed but since i'm having to borrow net time at the business center here, I didn't have time to do an extensive forum search.

I have a Dell computer (processor speed alludes me at the moment though i don't think thats a factor here) that is running Windows XP Home with all the patches, connected to the net via a cable modem (no proxy).

So last Sunday I am logged onto the internet (as per always) with several pages open in the background while i'm working in a program. I go back to the net to surf and it is suddenly VERY slow. Pages are taking minutes instead of seconds to load and then my msgers kick off. So i reboot to no avail. Next i dump the temp folder, the prefetch folder, and all cookies- nothing. I reset the modem- nothing. Run a norton virus scan, an adware scan, and spybot scan- all clean, no change. When pinged unlimited (regardless of a change) it loses about every fourth to sixth packet. I also disabled norton to make sure its not the firewall thats killing me- no (not to mention things were great until sunday).

So i call the cable tech- long story short, he comes out tuesday, after several different things (changing the modem, etc.) to no avail he hooks up his laptop to my CAT5 and modem and viola, super fast. So its my comp thats the prob. Gotta be spyware is what i'm thinking- don't know how it slipped thru but thats what it is. Wrong- i manually checked out every startup program and process that runs in the background- everythings legit. On top of that the comp itself has and is runing fine, no popups, no errors, nothing indicating that i have an infection of any kind. Just the internet is slowwwwwwwwwww, suddenly.

So last night I reset everything i could think of- nothing, made the ip addy etc. static- nothing. The computer won't even ping the gateway without losing packets (usually about every fourth one or so). So it seems to be hardware- i try changing the NIC speed to perhaps make it reset, when i drop it to 10mbps (full or half) it just won't sync at all. At 100mbps (full or half) or autodetect it finds the net but its the same utlrasluggishness i had before. So i'm thinking a bad NIC.

Today i installed another one, it refuses to connect at all with that one. There are no device errors with either NIC, they check out. I've uninstalled and reinstalled them to be sure- everythings kosher. When I plug back into the original NIC i can get a connection but its still crappy. On a wim i checked my installed programs thinking maybe an update had caused this but i don't see any updates to my comp in the last month so thats doubtful too. Norton and Windows are the only things set to autoupdate on my comp anyway.

So ladies and gents i'm at a total loss. Oh did i mention that any diagnostic that i've run hooked to the original NIC says that my connection is fine and its all clear. This has got me so furious i'm ready to throw the damn comp, and unfotunately i don't have another computer (which i'm regretting right now):mad: This is dually aggervating being as the computer works so damn smoothly but it refuses to allow me a decent internet connection all the sudden. The only thing i know that is left to do is wipe it and start anew but oh how i don't want to do that- so any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

ps. since i'm netless and having to utilize our business center, it may take me a day or so to reply, but keep the suggestions and questions (if u need more info) coming.

2. Sponsor

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

If that doesn't do the trick, I'll need to know more about the total environment.

Please supply the following info, exact models of the equipment please.

The name of your ISP and country of residence.
    Make/model of the broadband modem. If dial-up, please specify.
    Make/model of the router (if any).
    Connection type, wired, wireless.
    Make/model of network card or wireless adapter.
    Make/model of your computer (motherboard if home-built).
    Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP-Home SP2.

Also, let's see this.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Did the cable tech use YOUR ethernet cable between modem and his PC? If not, the problem could easily be the cable. Even if he did use the same cable there is still a small possibility of a cable problem.

5. daredavil

daredavil Thread Starter

Yes he did use my ethernet cable to connect his PC. And out of curiosity since this worked how could it still be cable? I do think i have another ethernet cable so i will try and repost when i get a chance. Thanks!

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "... since this worked how could it still be cable?"

Not quite secure connection--sometimes it makes good enough contact and sometimes not. "Hairline" break in a wire--depending on the position of the cable it makes contact sometimes. Small probability--just looking for something simple before you get into more complexities.

That TCP/IP stack repair fixes a lot of problems--maybe you'll luck out with that.

7. daredavil

daredavil Thread Starter

I was hopeful about the cable but no dice, same performance, or lack thereof i should say. Have already done the stack repair also no change. And this is just driving me absolutely batty....

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Try SAFE mode with networking. The success or failure of a connection will make either software or hardware, respectively, the main suspect area.

And sometimes an ipconfig /all just confirms what you've said but other times it really exposes the problem like a detailed picture.

9. daredavil

daredavil Thread Starter

In safe mode w/ networking, the comp still loses packets attempting to ping the gateway.

Here is the ipconfig /all readout, i don't see any problem, but feel free to double check it in case i'm overlooking something. Please note there are TWO NICs, the local area connection 4 IS disconnected. The other conenction is to the original NIC.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : David
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : knology.net

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 4:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR FA311v2 PCI Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-18-4D-F0-B4-32

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 5:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : knology.net
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-20-2F-3A-6B
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 24.214.143.2
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::213:20ff:fe2f:3a6b%7
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 24.214.143.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 69.1.30.2
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 69.1.30.3
    fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
    fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
    fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, August 16, 2007 7:37:55 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, August 16, 2007 9:37:55 PM

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::ffff:ffff:fffd%5
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter 6to4 Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 6to4 Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 18-D6-8F-02
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 2002:18d6:8f02::18d6:8f02
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 2002:c058:6301::c058:6301
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1

Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 18-D6-8F-02
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5efe:24.214.143.2%2
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    ipv6 has been known to cause strange and varied problems occasionally. Try without it:

Start - Run - ipv6 uninstall - OK

11. JohnWill

Still waiting for the make/model of the networking stuff I asked for.

12. daredavil

daredavil Thread Starter

Its a webstar cable modem, don't know the model off the top of my head- i'll get back to u on that. Its a wired connection with no router. As i mentioned previously when hooked to another comp (the techs laptop) with my modem and ethernet cable it works like a champ.

13. JohnWill

Did you power cycle the modem when you changed the attached device? That's a mandatory step.

14. daredavil

daredavil Thread Starter

yeppers

15. daredavil

daredavil Thread Starter

Still no success with the ipv6 uninstall.

16. JohnWill

I'm thinking along the lines of a BAD NIC, since the cable has been replaced.

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/610246