1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Suddenly lost net connection, various sources citing different problems....

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TreInJapan, Feb 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TreInJapan

TreInJapan Thread Starter

Hello everyone, and thanks in advance. I've had a problem for a couple of days and I've been trying various fixes found on this forum and other websites as well.

2-week old modem and house, everything worked fine until a couple days ago when everything stopped working for no reason. We were out for the day, came home and found that nothing worked anymore.

I can connect to Google/Youtube only on one computer. I've tried the ComboFix and SUPERantispyware fixes to no avail, and have also tried flushing the DNS, ipv4, ipv6, etc, as well as restarted the modem, router etc.

Weird thing is that our secondary laptop can connect to the internet through Wan Miniport PPPOE with a wired connection straight into the modem, but our primary one still can't.

We've tried 2 different routers with no change. The wireless network still works but has no internet access. So that would suggest that the modem suddenly turned bad, but we can still connect most of the time on this secondary laptop with a cable.

Windows is showing this error when I diagnose the connection:

Error 651: the modem (or other connecting device) has reported an error.

FYI I am in Japan using NTT/Yahoo BB on fiber optic.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks a lot!:p

2. TreInJapan

TreInJapan Thread Starter

Sorry for the post, problem's been solved!

My buddy came over and worked on it for a bit. Apparently, after a week of using the network, the new DHCP settings kicked in, and both the router (which I guess can be a modem too?) and modem were both trying to control the DHCP, screwing everything up, or something. That's my translation based on my limited Japanese :D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088252

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice